Solved Unexplained loss of hard drive space

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Virro

Hey guys.

Recently I have noticed an issue with my hard drive space disappearing into what seems like thin air.
My rig is by no means state of the art, but I have a 1T SDD, and for some reason it appears to have filled up at least 650gig worth of data that I cannot find.
I ran some disk analyzing software to see if i could snoop up the culprit, but it tells me that i currently use about 300gig, and looking at my C: icon I have used up about 650gig.
I have no idea where to look for my lost space and I dont really know how to diagnose the issue.
You guys have been amazingly helpful in the past, so my only hope is to turn to you for help.
I will be around to answer any questions or take instructions!

Thank you very much in advance.

It may be system restore. Check to see what percentage of your hard drive is configured.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Go here, then click the large blue "Download Now @ Author's Site" button to download and save TFC.exe (Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer) to your desktop.

After it's downloaded and saved, close all open windows.

Double-click it to load its main window.

Click the "Start" button.

If there are a large number of temp files or if there are multiple user accounts, the temp file deletion process may appear to freeze and may take a few minutes, so don't interfere with or abort it.

After it's finished, the number of temp files found and deleted will be listed at the bottom in red text.

Advise us what that number is in MB's.

---------------------------------------------------------

Virro

It may be system restore. Check to see what percentage of your hard drive is configured.
Hey, thanks for the reply, i'm not totally sure how to go about checking that. Can you give me a few pointers?

Go here, then click the large blue "Download Now @ Author's Site" button to download and save TFC.exe (Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer) to your desktop.

After it's downloaded and saved, close all open windows.

Double-click it to load its main window.

Click the "Start" button.

If there are a large number of temp files or if there are multiple user accounts, the temp file deletion process may appear to freeze and may take a few minutes, so don't interfere with or abort it.

After it's finished, the number of temp files found and deleted will be listed at the bottom in red text.

Advise us what that number is in MB's.

---------------------------------------------------------
Hey there. I just ran the cleaner and it cleaned 1320MB.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I just ran the cleaner and it cleaned 1320MB
That equates to about 1.28 GB of reclaimed free space.

It's less than what I was hoping for, but it's better than nothing.

------------------------------------------------------------

Right-click RECYCLE BIN and then click "Properties".

Advise what's listed in "Custom size - Maximum size (MB)".

If it's more than 28570 (3% of that 1 TB hard drive's capacity), change it to that number and then click "Apply".

Right-click COMPUTER and then click "Properties".

Click "System Protection" in the left column.

Click on and highlight the hard drive and then click "Configure".

Move the "Max Usage" slider to 3% and then click "Apply".

After you've done both of the above, restart the computer.

After it settles down from the restart, advise how much free space the hard drive now has.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online