1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unfamiliar Program folders/Add Remove

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by plzhelp, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

Hi everyone. i have noticed that i have an unfamiliar program file folder in my programs folder. one of which is a SAVE folder (probably from a shareware program that added it) also a Isp40 folder probably from PEOPLE PC when i tried it but i am no longer using.

my question is how do i remove thesesafely or any other "ghost"/"dead" programs without messin up anything. Add/Remove does not completly remove everything. is there a good program to use?

thanks for any advice in advance! :)

2. walkeriam

walkeriam

If you are sure you have removed the program through ADD AND REMOVE PROGRAMS, it is safe to go to C:\PROGRAM FILES and DELETE the FOLDER of the program you removed. You may then still have remnants left over in your registry which I suggest you download RegVac and use NOVICE MODE and it will safely delete the registry entries.

You can download RegVac here:
    http://superwin.com/regvac.htm

As for the SAVE folder, click on it. Chances are it is empty and you can safely delete it too.

3. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Concidering what his HJT log looked like before, it is reasonable to bet that the Save folder was from When-U-Save.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Plzhelp:

Click Start - Run, type in REGEDIT, then click OK.

Click the + in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - Software - Microsoft - Windows - CurrentVersion - Uninstall.

The sub-folders listed in the Uninstall sub-menu pertain to the programs that you have listed in Add/Remove Programs.

By clicking directly on any sub-folder, its entries will appear in the right pane, including its display name which shows how it appears in Add/Remove Programs.

Once you have found a sub-folder that you consider to be a ghost entry, right-click it, then click Delete - Yes.

The entry will no longer appear in Add/Remove Programs.

Warning! Just make sure that the entry you are deleting is a ghost entry. If you delete an entry to a program that is still installed, you will make it much more difficult to uninstall, if the need arises.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

5. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

ok thanks flavallee. i will give it a try. :)

6. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE ADVISED!! :) :) :UP:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice