Unhappy PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AndyIoW

Have a problem with my Asus K8V 754pin motherboard system. The computer starts up with all the fans etc going but the monitor stays switched off.

Have tried another graphics card and a known working hard drive with XP Pro on from my spare machine.

Has anyone got some ideas. The bios has been updated ASUS themselves to the latest version.

AndyIoW

Yes it is plugged in at the wall, its the first thing I checked lol.

Just tried removing everything and putting a bit in at a time to see if that would start it. I am confused because if it starts up then power must be getting to the motherboard.

Maybe when I originally tried to do the bios something happened at the same time

Triple6

Rob
There should be a jumper on the motherboard that can be used to Clear the CMOS setings. Move it to the clear position for a few seconds then move it back, now try starting the computer. The position and use of this jumper is referenced in the motherboard manual.

Also if that doesn't work, are there any beeps from the computer?

AndyIoW

Tried resetting the CMOS, removing the battery for a minute or so. There are no beeps either, all the fans start up and thats it.

Just because the fans are running does not mean that the computer is working.
Using the motherboard documentation and a DVM check that all proper voltages are present at the motherboard.
Check for any loose components, check that the CPU is properly seated, check that the memory sticks are properly installed.
Watch the disk activity light, does it blink on and off, does the HD spinup.

Check to see if the motherboard is shorted to the case somewhere.. Also, try another power supply with it..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online