1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unidentified Network/Limited Access or No Connection issue with Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by D. Shadow, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D. Shadow

D. Shadow Thread Starter

Hi, i have one bothersome problem with Windows 7 and also Vista

ok, i have 2 laptops one running Windows 7 64-bit and the other Vista 64-bit, for some reason out of the blue both machines stopped getting access to the net and i have this ongoing message saying "Limited Access, No Connection" and/or "Unidentified Network" with the wireless connections.
    the strainge thing is, both laptop sees my router but it would not connect...NOW, i have 2 other laptops my old Compaq Presario V5000 and a Dell Insparion D600 both Running Windows XP Pro and they connect to the router and my mom's Dell Mini (running Windows 7 32-bit) that too connects to the router.

i've tried every method possible even googled solutions to find a way to fix the problem but to no avail since i have yet to a straight answer to fix it.

BTW: i dont know if it has to do with teh fact that the 2 laptops are running a 64-bit operating system and theres some incompatibility somewhere...i mean im bout on the verge of giving up on fixing this and just wipe em both out and do a full re-installation as a last resort.

any pointers of how to "properly" fix this network issue?

2. Deadlegend

Deadlegend

Hi Shadow,
    I had a very similar issue when reinstalling xp pro onto a oldish laptop, again as with you my laptop could see my router but not connect, (a yellow triangle icon)

This is what I had to do perhaps/ I hope, it will work for you.

First I found a bit of free software that does not install but when run will give you all the info you need to know about your laptop, sorry was a while ago just google there is more than one.

This will let you know the exact wireless card you have in your system, then and it took me a bit of time to google and find the right one, download the latest driver for the wireless card.

Now I could connect by plugging a cable in and downloaded the update directly to the laptop in mention, however after running it it still did not work, so for some strange reason I re-downloaded it from another computer, copied it onto a pen drive and ran it from there and it worked.

Finding the correct driver can be a little tireless wading through the oh download and pay for my brilliant driver updater software, but somewhere in the middle of all that crap will be a genuine driver you need.

another option is go direct to the laptop manufacturers website and check if they have the driver's.

Worth a try.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/961935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice