1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unidentified Network on laptop.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sokid, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sokid

Sokid Thread Starter

When I plug my Window 7 Compaq Presario CQ61-410US laptop directly into the modem (as I have no router at the moment to use), I get an Unidentified Network or Public Network with no network access, local area connection.

This Computer -- ! -- Unidentified Network -- X -- Internet

The modem works fine, as when I plug it into the computer I am currently posting from it works perfectly. The modem is a StarSmart PacStar.

I was able to fix this issue on a different computer through technical support of my ISP over the phone, but it will be a long while before I can contact them. Last time they were able to guide me through steps to fix it through the command prompt if I remember correctly.

I use this laptop on a regular basis at home all the time with no problems (a different ISP).

I did a ipconfig/all, Which I will try to type most of it out since I am lacking a flash drive at the moment.

Node type : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled: No
    Wireless LAN Adapter wireless network connection:
    Media State: Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
    Description: Atheros AR9285 802.11g/g/n WiFi Adapter
    Physical address: 90-4C-E5-60-07-D5
    DHCP Enabled: Yes
    Auto configuration enabled: Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Physical Address: 00-26-9E-C3-98-80
    DCHP Enabled: Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
    Link-local Ipv6 address: fe0::30ec:f676:c2e3:536e%11<Preferred>
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 address: 196.254.83.110<Preffered>
    Subnet mask: 225.225.0.0
    Default Gateway:
    DHCPv4 IAID: 184559262

Tunnel adapter isatap.

Then the list goes on with a bunch of "Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection" with:
    Media State: Media disconnected
    Description: Microsoft ISATAP Adapter or Teredo Tunneling Psuedo-Interface
    Physical Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled: No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes

Sorry its typed out so sloppy. If you need any more information just let me know, Thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you remember to power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds) the modem when switching computers? If so, try 5 minutes, as occasionally a longer time is needed.

A few ISPs track the MAC Address of the device connected to the modem. Are you sure that your ISP does not do so?

What non-Windows security application(s) do, or did, you have on the problem machine?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice