Solved Unidentified network. Win10

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SkyNinjaX

Posted this on reddit didn`t get any real advice.

So, today I plugged and turned on my router and pc after a lighting storm. Only to see that I don`t have internet connection. It just says unidentified network, no internet.

At first I tried the basic fixes, rebooting, resetting the router, switching ports, updating drivers.

Then I checked whether my ethernet cable is broken, it was not. It works on another pc and wifi is also working. This problem is only with my PC.

Til now I have tried resetting my internet protocol and numerous other fixes I have found from forums. All of my internet protocol addresses are on automatic.

And finally I actually found something. After typing ipconfig /renew in the cmd it says: An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out. So I guess the problem is there.

I would be very greatful if someone could give me some advice.

SkyNinjaX

Ipconfig /all

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-IPVAEQD
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Ethernet:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 10-78-D2-D0-61-B1
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e461:4a61:78fc:37c4%6(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.55.196(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 101742802
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-02-84-0F-10-78-D2-D0-61-B1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

TerryNet

Terry
Using the same router LAN port and ethernet cable another computer gets internet access but DESKTOP-IPVAEQD gets the above result, right? Could possibly be a firewall issue, but "after a lighting storm" implies a fried NIC.

SkyNinjaX

Using the same router LAN port and ethernet cable another computer gets internet access but DESKTOP-IPVAEQD gets the above result, right? Could possibly be a firewall issue, but "after a lighting storm" implies a fried NIC.
Yes and it should not be firewalls fault, I have it disabled atm. NIC could have been damaged by the lighting yes. Even the power went offline for a moment. Is there any way to be certain that NIC is fried?

TerryNet

Terry
Is there any way to be certain that NIC is fried?
Probably people who design and develop NICs have such equipment, but practically speaking the answer is no. Much easier and less expensive to just try a USB or PCI ethernet adapter. My choice would be USB since it can be used with any computer.

SkyNinjaX

Okay it seems that NIC`s days are over. My NIC is connected to MOBO. Is it possible to replace it? And whether I should have it replaced or buy a external network adapter?

TerryNet

Terry
Is it possible to replace it?
I think not. And if possible it would be very expensive probably. There is a chance that the motherboard was damaged, but almost always it's only the NIC that suffers from a power surge.

And whether I should have it replaced or buy a external network adapter?
Much easier and less expensive to just try a USB or PCI ethernet adapter.
And either way disable the built-in ethernet in the BIOS or in Device Manager.

SkyNinjaX

Got an external wifi adapter and it is working. So I guess my NIC was fried.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online