1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unidentified Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by comador, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. comador

comador Thread Starter

So I have my current computer (Laptop/win7) connected to the internet through the Ethernet cord in my dorm room and it works fine untill... I wanted to connect my desktop computer (win7 also) to the internet, so i took the same ethernet cord and unplugged my laptop and plugged it into my desktop but then i got an Unidentified Network and it wont connect to the internet. What do I do?

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    What is on the other end of this ethernet cord? A router or a port?

3. comador

comador Thread Starter

Just a port.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Some schools allow only one computer and, hence, its MAC address must be registered with them. Are you positive that is not the case for you?

5. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Yes, terrnet is absolutely correct. I go to a school and you can only register on the internet with one device, and they identify this device by it's mac address. You could just get a router. This way, you register the router and then anything connected to the router can use the internet. Another option would be to change your mac address on your computer to the one that is already registered. This way, the network thinks it's the same computer each time, when in fact they are different.

6. comador

comador Thread Starter

The thing is ive had this tower connected to this internet port before and then i got a laptop and connected the ethernet cord to the port. I honestly have no idea what the problem is...

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Gee, I wonder which one. :D With your above post you are skating on thin ice--we don't help people circumvent the rules of their school, ISP, parents, companies, etc.

comador, I'd appreciate a direct answer to my question before we continue.

8. comador

comador Thread Starter

I am positive. Ive had my previous computer connected before i got the laptop. I only have one connected at a time.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks. For the desktop please show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

10. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Some places do not allow a router, especially a wireless router. When helping people with their school or company networking we have to be cautious about what restrictions they have and whether they should be consulting with their IT department instead of with us.

12. comador

comador Thread Starter

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Einstein>IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Einstein-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566DM Gigabit Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-FE-61-10-94
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{1B9D4AA5-5900-4117-8C82-C8316714617E}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Users\Einstein>

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I can only think of four things that may have changed since you last successfully connected with that PC.

a. Security application is blocking (especially if it is out of date).

b. The adapter cannot auto sync a speed. In Device Manager right click on the ethernet - Properties - Advanced tab - for the 'Speed & Duplex' property try different values beginning with 100 Mbps full duplex and 10 Mbps full duplex. If nothing works change it back to 'Auto.'

c. The cable has become defective. If your laptop does not have gigabit it can successfully connect (uses only four wires) while the desktop with gigabit (uses all eight wires) fails. "Cable" could be the one from port to PC or the one that "feeds" the port.

d. IT dept. now filtering for MAC Address.

14. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Yes going along with a and b of what terrynet said, I've seen lots of antivirus or other non-windows firewalls blocking internet access. So I would disable any of these and see if that corrects your problem. Also, in device manager, make sure you don't have any yellow exclamation points on network adapters or anywhere else.

15. comador

comador Thread Starter

Well, I uninstalled every program I could think of that was to no use to me anymore since i got the laptop and any program that I thought would contribute to it. The I tried b and that never worked. I did find something online about this program called Bonjour that might have made the problem so I uninstalled it and that never worked either. I'm not sure what to do for c and d. So what ever I do I still get Unidentified Network and I cannot click Public Network. I tried what purduebmaker7 said and i found none in my device manager. Though there is this one under device manager: "PCI Simple Communications Controller" I dont know what that is for but Dad and I could never get that one updated or didnt know what it was. Im not sure if thats what the problem is but im thinking its not really it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice