1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Unidentified network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Cormac.knowles, Oct 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cormac.knowles

Cormac.knowles Thread Starter

Hi,
    I was in Discord one day chatting away when suddenly my ethernet stops working and now it's saying my network is unidentified and "default gateway is not available". I've been going through solutions on YouTube and just Google searches on my phone but non seem to work. Any help would be appreciated.

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

How do you connect? Via Ethernet or wirelessly? Which OS are you running?

3. Cormac.knowles

I'm using a realtek PCIe adapter and I'm running win 10

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Click on the Start button and type Device. You should see Device Manager appear as the best match at the top, so click on that. Look for Network Adapters on the list and left-click to expand that option. You should see the Realtek adapter on there, so right-click on it and choose Uninstall. Click Uninstall again on the warning dialogue box which appears, and then reboot the PC. The drivers should re-install automatically after that, and then check your settings again.

5. Cormac.knowles

That didn't work unfortunately?

6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Can you be more precise? What didn't work particularly? Is it still telling you there's an unidentified network?

7. Cormac.knowles

Nothing changed. Back to square 1.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Unplug both ends of the Ethernet cable then plug them both back in. Also reboot your router assuming the cable goes directly from the computer to the router and there's nothing in-between like a switch or extender in-between of any kind, if there is tell us exactly what is connected to where.

9. Cormac.knowles

I have a powerline kit connecting from the router and then at the other end to my pc.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does the PC get network access connected directly to the router?

Does another computer get network access connected through the powerline adapters?

11. Cormac.knowles

I'm not sure what that means but the setup is. Router to an ethernet cable to the powerline adapter to the other adapter then ethernet to my pc. It's the only adapter in my house so it's not paired to the wrong one or something.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It means that I've given you two ways to help determine if the problem lies in the powerline adapters/electrical system or else in the router/ethernet cables/PC.

13. Cormac.knowles

Oh ok thank you.

14. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    That's wrong.

One powerline adapter gets connected to the router by ethernet.

The other powerline adapter is at a different location, in a different electrical outlet, and a PC connects to it by ethernet.

The two powerline adapters are NOT connected to each other by any ethernet cables. The signal comes through the electrical outlets.

If the lights on the powerline adapters show that they've lost connection to each other. You pull them from the electrical outlets and let them re-discover each other.

I'm using a Netgear setup for years. One adapter is on the first floor near the router. The 2nd unit is in the basement and my husband's desktop computer ( now one but it used to be two )connected through a switch to the powerline adapter. From time to time I've had to pull the two units to re-pair them.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice