1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

uninstall linux/install win xp

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by ayaman, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ayaman

ayaman Thread Starter

hello!

i've been using linux (fedora core 2) for a while now, and now i need windows again. i try and install windows xp by starting the installer with wine, but after it is done with the preparation of the installation, it whines about "datasegment in drive C that is not supported" and so it cannot define the computer to boot xp from the specific drive.

i have also tried booting my computer with the win xp installation disc (by setting the cd-rom drive as my default boot device) but for some reason it doesnt seem to recognize my cd-rom drive before linux has started. (update bios maybe?)

also, would it work if i copied the contents of my xp cd to my hd, made a boot disk so i'd get to ms-dos and run the xp installation? but then again, if i copy the cd to the hd on linux, i wouldnt be able of seeing them on ms-dos, right?

2. lynch

lynch

Do you want to keep Fedora? If not you can run the linux fdisk and delete all the Linux partitions and run fixmbr from the xp disk afterwards to clear the mbr. Then install XP.
    Must shower now. :p
    lynch

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice