1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstall Office 2010

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Hughv, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hughv

Hughv Thread Starter

I installed Office 2010 a week ago for a local small business, and after a week of "Security center hates you" , "Document must be converted" and new and disimproved interfaces they want to revert to Office XP and I can't say I blame them. The "improvements" have done nothing but cause chaos for the only user who has been calling every day asking questions I can't answer.
    Should I uninstall or do a system restore? Will the pst file remain intact? What's the chance we can get a refund?
    Thanks.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Chance of a refund? Practically zero. You can't return opened software to a store, and you accepted the licensing terms the minute you installed it.

If you already imported the PST file, I would be surprised if it would work in Office 2010. That's a major step backwards. Remember that Office XP has absolutely no knowledge or awareness of Office 2010.

In my experience, people hate change. There's a HUGE difference between Office XP and Office 2010. Depending on how the business uses Office, they could run into major compatibility problems with other companies they do business with.

I doubt the software says "Security center hates you". Instead of going through the hassle of trying to rip the software out and potentially lose critical e-mails, I would suggest some good books and/or classes at a local community college. Technology moves forward. It doesn't stand still.

3. Hughv

Hughv Thread Starter

Trust me on this, Security center hated us. This install has been updated from Office 97 to 2000 to XP and now 2010. Virtually every file generated security generated errors until we disabled that nanny state crap.
    Office 2010 is definitely coming out. I already tried the "Technology moves forward" argument, but I'm dealing with a strong willed, intelligent woman who thinks her software should work, not generate errors and warnings that didn't exist previously.
    I suppose I'll have to use the pst backups if the present one won't work.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Office 97? What security center are you talking about? It can't be Windows 7 'cause I don't think you can install Office 97 on it, and it wouldn't make sense to have gone through 4 versions of Office in only a couple of years. I'm guessing this is an ancient XP system. If so, that's the problem. I'm surprised the system still works on a 5+ year old install with that many major updates.

Give her back her ancient system. Update it when she retires.

5. Hughv

Hughv Thread Starter

Yes, but it's a new XP system, maybe 1.5 years old. All the office files were transferred from the previous XP machine which was easily 6 or so years old.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice