1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

uninstall problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MRBEE, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

I have Windows XP home edition. I wish to uninstall an old word processor program (Word 2.0) but it doesn't show up in the "Add/Remove" location in Control Panel. So, how do I uninstall it?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you sure it's not there? It's under Microsoft more than likely, not Word.

3. terryxp

terryxp

Add/remove windows components... why delete it? Just don't use it... do you have another version of word?

4. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

AcaCandy: Yes I'm sure it's not there. Not under Microsoft or anything:

terryxp: Yes I have a later version (Word 2002). Don't need Word 2.0 any longer, even though in some ways it's better than 2002.

My question remains: How do I uninstall Word 2.0?

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

That is strange as the newer version usually overinstalls. Does it appear in the start, programs menu?

6. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

Does it appear in the start, programs menu? I checked, and yes, it does appear in the Start / All Programs menu. However, as stated, it will not appear in Control Panel / Add-Remove.

So, where does that leave us?

7. terryxp

terryxp

How did you even get word 2.0 on an XP system? This may be bad advice, but if it were me, and I had a newer version of MS word... and there was no uninstaller for word 2.0, and I was bent on removing it from my system, I would go into my program files folder and just delete the darn thing...

8. MRBEE

MRBEE Thread Starter

terryxp:

You asked: "How did you ever get word 2.0 on an XP system?

If I had known how when I got my xp system, I wouldn't be here now. I would have had word 2.0 going, and there would have been no need for me to purchase Word 2002. I recently learned how: You right click the Word 2.0 icon in desktop, it brings up a Word 2.0 Properties box; then you click the compatibility tab, and select the old platform -- in my case, Windows 98. I suppose, but don't know, this will work on most other outdated programs.

My problems now are twofold: I've kind of got used to 2002 so even though I like 2.0 better, I think I'll just use 2002 -- it is better for for some things.

Anyway, I guess I'll just leave 2.0 on my system. If I ever decide to clean up my system by formatting my C drive and then reinstalling everything, I'll not reinstall 2.0.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice