Uninstall/Reinstall Outlook 2003 Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Chris286

I recently purchased a computer with MS Office 2003 installed. I need to uninstall Office 2003 and install Office XP but want to keep Outlook 2003. I know I need to uninstall all of Office 2003 to install Office XP and then need to update Outlook to v2003.

My question: will I lose access to all the email already downloaded when I uninstall Office 2003, install Office XP, then upgrade to Outlook 2003?

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi Chris286

Do a Search for .pst
Copy the .pst files as a backup to another directory, My Documents or a folder on the Desktop.

You can then use the backup .pst file if the Office uninstall/reinstall corrupts or writes over those files.

Once you have Outlook 2003 reinstalled.
If it does not open with your Personal Folders (.pst) file, you can move the .pst file back into the Outlook directory where you originally found it.
Then open it with Outlook 2003,
File > Open > Outlook Data File
Browse to the .pst file and select it.

**If you copy the .pst file to a CD as backup, first copy it back to the hard drive, then check it's properties to verify it is not marked Read-only before opening it with Outlook 2003.

Let us know if that works for you or not.

DoubleHelix

Banned
When you install or uninstall an Office suite, you should have the ability to select which components you want to remove and which you want to keep.

Chris286

Thanks for the help. I backed up the .pst files, uninstalled Office 2003, installed Office 2002, and then installed Outlook 2003. I didn't lose a thing and now everything is working. Thanks again for the info about the .pst files.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online