1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstall Snafu

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mardigrasvet, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mardigrasvet

mardigrasvet Thread Starter

i was cleaning up my computer hard drive and uninstalled some programs that were not used since 2005. at least that is what i thought. now, excel and microsoft word are gone. i went into restore and tried to restore microsoft xp office, but the computer tells me to insert the disk. i do not have the disk. any other options? thanks

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. eugene2k

eugene2k

...or you could use google docs :)

4. valis

valis Moderator

eugene:

welcome to tsg. While I presume that your intentions were good in your original post, I've edited it to not include torrent usage, as that is agains the forum rules. May want to browse pass that area.

Thanks,

v

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Even if it came preinstalled on your computer, I would think you should have the install disks somewhere.

6. eugene2k

eugene2k

valis:
    Sorry, will be careful next time :)

7. valis

valis Moderator

no worries.....you'd be surprised at the amount of people that miss those on the way in.....:)

8. mardigrasvet

thanks for all the tips. i did find some disks which explain what is on them and none explicitly refer to Microsoft Word or Excel. One disk says its contents include the following: antivius software, support software, multimedia software, internet software. do you think this is the right disk to re-install word and excel? and will the disk prompt me to choose what i want or will it go crazy on me and start erasing my files to install these programs?

9. ~Candy~

Wrong disk. The disk should be labeled pre-installed software, or Microsoft.

Did you pay for these programs? Sometimes they put trial versions on computers, and you have 90 days to buy it.

10. mardigrasvet

i found a disk that says contents:

antivirus software
    support software
    multimedia software
    internet software

perhaps multimedia is the one?

also found a disk for microsoft office 2000 professional that says it is designed for windows nt and windows 98. i have windows xp. can i install this anyway?

thanks for all your help.

11. ~Candy~

No, it wouldn't be under multimedia.

Is that the version of Office you had installed? I believe it should work with XP.

12. mardigrasvet

thanks for all your help. the 2000 disks were installed without any problems and they work with xp.

cheers!

tom

13. ~Candy~

Good to hear. You can mark the thread solved right above your first post.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice