1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstall SP2 Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by edulinka, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edulinka

edulinka Thread Starter

I did try to install SP2 RC1 and it did asked to uninstal SP beta first. I did click in Control panel/Add-remove on SP2 and this line in Add/remove dissapear without any uninstalation. Now I have no clue how I can uninstall it and install SP2 RC1
    Thank you
    :confused:
    :mad:

2. mobo

mobo

Have you tried a system restore ? If you wish to try it I would suggest frist creating a restore point for today before commencing.

3. edulinka

edulinka Thread Starter

It where more than a week ago so I can't do this. Any other ideas.
    Thank you
    :mad:

4. mobo

mobo

You must have changed the restore volume settings did you ? Xp will by default hold much more than one weeks restore points.

5. edulinka

edulinka Thread Starter

I don't remeber that I did change settings and I never use restore point. Any article to read about it? If it will not work any other ideas? I am at work right now and can't try it now.
    Thank you

6. mobo

mobo

7. edulinka

edulinka Thread Starter

Thank you. I will try tonight, but I don't remeber exact day of it. So I need to restore to the point before I did try to uninstall SP2 beta and try it again?

8. mobo

mobo

Try to restoe to a point before you installed SP2 . If you look at the restore points
    you may be able to see where you installed SP2 first.

9. edulinka

edulinka Thread Starter

I did try to restore from all possable dates and nothing did work. Any other ideas?

10. mobo

mobo

Only one other idea and you may not like it...
    Reformat.

11. edulinka

edulinka Thread Starter

No other ideas ?

12. edulinka

edulinka Thread Starter

What about regestry? Somebody knows where it is check for SP2?

13. dai

dai

when you installed the sp it asked you if you wanted to back up the previous installation.
    if you chose no then it cannot roll back because there is nothing to go back to.
    with the alpha and beta releases you cannot install one on top of the other,so you have to let it back up so that you can uninstall to install the later release

14. edulinka

edulinka Thread Starter

Unfortunatelly I did say NO, so I can't uninstall it. My mistake. Did try to save space. :(
    Any way from this cituation?

Can I try this?

Article Last Modified on 12/15/2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

SYMPTOMS
    When you visit the Microsoft Windows Update Web site and scan for available updates, you may receive the following error message:
    Windows Update Error.
    Windows Update has encountered an error cannot display the requested page.
    Additionally, the System Properties dialog box may have two Automatic Update tabs.
    CAUSE
    On a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1)-based computer, this problem occurs if you do either of the following actions:
    You reinstall the original released version of Windows XP.
    You use System Restore to restore your computer to a date before Service Pack 1 was installed.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem, re-install Windows XP Service Pack 1 or install any Service Pack that is later than Service Pack 1. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    322389 How to Obtain the Latest Windows XP Service Pack

WORKAROUND
    Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To work around this problem, follow these steps:
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Run dialog box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows

In the right pane, double-click CSDVersion.
    In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, under Value data, type 0 (zero), and then click OK.
    On the File menu, click Exit.
    Restart your computer, and then visit the Windows Update Web site to try to update Windows again.

15. dai

dai

you can try it,you will be no worse off as it stands you will have to reinstall
    i learn't my lesson with sp1 betas ,when it first came out you could install on top all of a sudden that changed and i had to reinstall

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice