1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

uninstall ubuntu, install xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CloudHawk, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CloudHawk

CloudHawk Thread Starter

I'm trying to install windows XP over a ubuntu install, the computer specs are in my profile, but basically it is a amd 64x2 athelon, Ive got a 250g wd hd in it now, fully formatted, from external source, i.e. i put it in a external case and formatted it like a usb or floppy, ill name it ( x )l, then 2 other drive physically in the computer but un plugged with a bad install of umbuntu still on them, I've tried to take another computer and load the xp sys, program files, nvidia, and any other files i thought i might need in it, from another xp computer onto (x) hd. then tried to install xp from a valid xp disk, remember only ( x ) hd is plugged it,
    now is the point( 5 days later) that i found this forum, and read @cstrikehero777 s http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/linux-unix...ow-remove.html
    problem report from sept 08, w/ almost 1000 views, alot of info in it, all of which i have tried, them it ends with "i solved the problem " and not how it was solved,

ok, back to xp, installation, i have a formatted 250 g hd installed, w/ xp disk in and running , in setup, windows tells me no hard drive is installed(weird that linux reads 6g ram?) i enter install xp professional setup anyway and come up with a -
    "setupdd.sys
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"
    MAKE SURE HARDWARE IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY YADA YADA YADA,,,, DISABLE BIOS??? HU? RESTART, F8 ,, ADVANCED STARTUP, YADA YADA YADA,,,, SELECT SAFE MODE,,,, YADA (i cant get to safe mode)
    Technical information:
    *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xe26d7957, 0x000000000, 0xf418cad, 0x0000000002)
    *** setup.sys - address F7418cad base at F73ec000. DateStamp 41107c8f

at this point i am thinking of making a backup of another working xp sys, (i have 5 of the same computer) and re-install off of that then put the right CD keys in Microsoft, but with the way I'm going in circles there has to be a better way,
    any help would be appreciated, thank u for yer time, Dan
    We think of ourselves far too frequently as just individuals, separated from one another, whereas you are connected and what you do affects the whole World. When you do well, it spreads out; it is for the whole of humanity.

2. shadow6224

shadow6224

Okay, when you say you formatted the "X" hd, how did you format it? did you plug it into a windows?

3. CloudHawk

CloudHawk Thread Starter

i removed my external hard drive from the external case and put my c or x drive in the case and formated it from the usb on a xp system

4. CloudHawk

CloudHawk Thread Starter

then i put the system from that working xp os into the c or x drive along with whatever else i thought i would need after start up, ,,, was this a mistake, xp will burn over all that info?
    but then how do i get the "setupdd.sys " that xp is looking for to startup?

5. CloudHawk

CloudHawk Thread Starter

6. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

when you remove the partition or format the drive ubuntu was running on. The boot loader is not removed .
    so the boot loader must be removed before you can load windows on that drive. The easist way if you have a win98e boot disk run it(if you have a floppy drive) and at the prompt type fdisk /mbr Or if you have a low level format tool you can remove it with a low level format.place the drive in other machine and set it as slave to do the format.
    The drive must be clean before you replace the os with a windows copy..

7. CloudHawk

CloudHawk Thread Starter

i tried the fdisk , didnt work, tried reformating as a slave, didnt work either, tried a msdos startup disk , nope
    tried syschk negitive
    tried windows 95 startup, (going way back there) , nothin
    sys check read the drive, 250g but none of them put command.com on it
    idont think this will work but i have 4 of the same systems, , im doing a sysbck as an external drive and going to try to boot off that,???

8. CloudHawk

CloudHawk Thread Starter

ill add the right product key after instalation

9. shadow6224

shadow6224

Why didn't you just stick the hard drive in the permanent case and install windows xp onto it from there?

10. CloudHawk

CloudHawk Thread Starter

i can do that?
    well i downloaded the 5 floppy disk set of xp from microsoft, it worked in the amd64, but now i have no internet, will not work on the dell gx260, or the hp amd64 laptop though, i traded vista for xp , fair i think, but i cant get online now

11. shadow6224

shadow6224

But, wait, what? Floppy? Don't you have a disc?

12. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Let us know when you get a proper XP install disc....it doesn't come in a form that would fit on 5 floppies and its not available from Microsoft. Maybe MS-DOS would fit on 5 or 6 floppies but even then I don't know that its available from Microsoft.

13. CloudHawk

CloudHawk Thread Starter

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];310994

this is where u can download them from, i have a couple copys of the xp cd s , but as i said the dvd disk drive was not working, its all up and running now, the disks did the job, then i installed the mainboard drivers from open source by usb to get the ethernet nic, that got me online, and im loading xpsp3 now

14. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Ah, Windows XP SETUP disk, not Install disc, understood. That's going old, old school, forgot all about it, heck, I don't even know if I have a working floppy drive. Missed wherever you mention the optical drive was not working as well....not my day eh?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1007108