1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstall Win2000 pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RedDragon825, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RedDragon825

RedDragon825 Thread Starter

I am trying to install WinXP. I am currently running ME. A few months ago I tried to install 2000 Pro so I could have dual OS, but I could never get 2000 to run. Now that I am trying to install XP it gives me an error message that it can not install (upgrade) until I remove 2000. I deleted all the 2000 files I could find but it did not help. How do I eliminate 2000 from my system to upgrade to XP? Help?

2. DarrenW

DarrenW

do you have a lot of data you want to save on your current machine? perhaps a backup of your important stuff and then a format of the hard drive would be the best thing you could do.

3. $teve

$teve

hmmm! i think the only way your gonna install xp is to format and do a clean install.
    good luck.

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Check for the following files in the root of your hard drive.

Pagefile.sys
    Boot.ini
    Ntldr
    Ntdetect.com
    Ntbootdd.sys

If any of these files are still there, overwrite them.

These will have been left over from the windows 2000 install.

You will also need to boot from a Win Me floppy and run sys c:

This will overwrite any left over boot record info from Windows 2000.

Here is a link to one that all you will need to do is run the exe and it will format a floppy and create the disk for you. http://jason-n3xt.org/dos/#disks

Choose the one that say winme.exe

The reason you are getting that error is that you probably have bought the XP home edition, which you cannot use to upgrade Windows 2000 and the XP Home Edition is still detecting some left over stuff from 2000.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice