1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstall Windows 8 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mygoose, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mygoose

mygoose Thread Starter

Is it possible to uninstall Windows 8 on a new PC please?

Thanks

mygoose

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The question is too wide to answer with any real level of guidance.
    1. WHY do you so wish to do

2. Is it pre-installed on a new OEM bought computer, as I presume it is not on the
    Compaq Presario 1879UK
    Windows XP SP3

3. What are you installing in its place and what is the install medium - eg DVD USB etc

4. Which Windows 8 is it

5. Which is the Windows you intend to replace it with

6. If you know the answer is the computer with Windows 8 a UEFI Unified Extensible Firmware Interface or the traditional BIOS - if it is a new OEM with 8 preinstalled it will be UEFI

3. mygoose

mygoose Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

It is a new PC with Windows 8 pre-installed. In short time I have not been able to find out which version of Windows 8.

I want to install Windows 7 Professional so I can run XP mode.

Thanks for help.

mygoose

4. Macboatmaster

The short and honest answer is that I have no idea if XP Mode can be run on 8 it certainly cannot, as you know, as it was on 7
    There are suggestions it can be done by running it in a Virtual machine
    However I would most certainly not like to suggest that you try that
    If you wish to - that of course is up to you - but I would not even be so bold as to offer advice on that point.

Please do not think I am being unhelpful in any way with that reply. It is simply that I have no experience of it on 8

Now to the actual question.

There are a number of considerations. I have tried to place them in order of importance

1. If this goes wrong you will get no help whatsoever from the OEM eg Dell HP Toshiba etc - at least not meaningful free help under any warrantry
    I doubt if you wil get any from the supplier - if not purchased direct

2. You must before you even contemplate it ensure you have the means to reinstall 8 in the form you wish - in case it goes wrong.
    That maybe the installation disc
    A full system image
    but NOT the recovery partition on the Hard drive as that will be wiped - formatted

3. If it is NOT 64 bit Windows it cannot be installed in UEFI system as that uses what is known as GPT partitioning and 32 bit Windows 7 cannot boot from a GPT partitioned drive. Therefore it has to be installed in what is known as legacy mode - the old traditional BIOS
    The image cannot then be reinstalled to that drive if you get that far, as the drive must be formatted GPT
    and the UEFI must be reconfigured before that can occur and windows 8 can be reinstalled.

4. If it is 64 bit windows 7 then you have the problem of getting a boot from the DVD as the Secure boot in 8 will not allow that
    YOU should have an entry, after you have disabled secure boot which will allow the boot from the DVD
    HOWEVER that depends on what the DVD is

5. YOU MUST CHECK before you proceed that WIndows 7 drivers are available for that computer
    Some OEMS have stated that they will not be providing 7 drivers for Windows 8 computers on which it is sold pre installed

That should have given you enough information to consider carefully your position.

It is TOO LATE NOW for you but if you do not mind - for anyone reading the post who may be thinking of buying a new computer with Windows 8
    UNLESS you are convinced 8 is what you want
    BUY with 7 while they are still available
    The upgrade to 8 is if you buy with 7 pre installed ONLY £14.99 from Microsoft
    YOU MUST download it before February but you DO NOT have to install it then and the upgrade to 8 is cheaper than buying 7 and EASIER than trying to replace 8 with 7.

Finally there are many other considerations for YOU - mygoose - but when you tell me which way you decide I can advise you further.

There is one more point - before I sign off
    YOU can install either 32 or 64 bit in legacy mode
    All should go OK.
    Drivers of course and the lack of help if it goes pear shaped are still a major consideration

5. mygoose

mygoose Thread Starter

Thank you for taking so much trouble with such a comprehensive reply.

I am sorry to say that this is all beyond me.

I want Windows 7 Professional so that I can run XP mode. I do not want Windows 8.

You say buy with Windows 7 while they are still available.

Where are they available please?

I want an HP tower. HP are selling direct only Windows 8 and all the major suppliers are also selling only Windows 8.

It would be a great help if you know where they are still being sold with 7.

Thanks again for help.

mygoose

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    mygoose:

There are numerous refurbished desktops and laptops that you can browse through and choose from that come with Windows 7 or Windows XP installed.

These are the 2 sites that I use to purchase refurbished computers:

http://www.newegg.com/

http://www.overstock.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------

HP is still selling a small number of desktop models that come with Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/Desktops

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. mygoose

mygoose Thread Starter

Many thanks for your reply but you and your suppliers appear to be in the US whereas Macboatmaster and I are both in the UK.

If Macboatmaster will please let me know what's in mind that will be fine.

mygoose

8. Macboatmaster

mygoose
    Thanks for that
    that is nice of you

You would perhaps be surprised to know that a few posters do not even bother to reply, let alone express their thanks

Before I see if I can find what you want - what part of the explanation is puzzling you

By that I mean you perhaps know what I am getting at when I say you must ensure you can reinstall 8 if the attempt to install 7 fails and I am sure you can check to see if drivers for 7 are available

What is the make and full model of the computer you have with 8 on and which install disc do you have for 7

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I wasn't aware they don't deliver in the U.K..

I'll leave you with Mac.

-------------------------------------------------------------

10. mygoose

mygoose Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.

I think I am perhaps getting you at cross purposes here.

You say buy with Windows 7 while they are still available and I was asking where are they available please?

I want an HP tower. HP are selling direct only Windows 8 and all the major suppliers are also selling only Windows 8.

It would be a great help if you know where they are still being sold with 7.

Thanks again for help.

mygoose

11. Macboatmaster

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you click the Desktops link, then click the Everyday Computing/High Performance/Ready-to-ship link, you'll see a select few models that come with Windows 7 that you can choose from.

Again, I'll leave you with Mac.

----------------------------------------------------------------

13. Macboatmaster

mygoose
    My link on post 11 takes you straight to desktops there are four or five HP`s with 7

That is MISCO I have dealt with them for some years, they are very good on service. Not the cheapest, but certainly cheaper than some.
    I will try and find you another

Here you are - quite a choice
    http://www.ebuyer.com/search?a05471=Windows+7+Professional&brand=HP&cat=191

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?a05471=Windows+7+Home+64bit&44=Home&cat=191

I have also dealt with EBuyer - I have never had problems, some people have reported delivery delays etc, but they have always served me well

14. mygoose

mygoose Thread Starter

Thanks again MacBoatmaster for all of your efforts with this. I will have a look.

The reason why I want to have Windows 7 Professional to run XP Mode (and not Windows 8) is because I am still a firm follower of Outlook Express which I understand seems quite trivial to some.

Thanks again for help.

mygoose

15. Macboatmaster

You are welcome
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice