1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstall Windows XP - Install Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rae1234, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rae1234

Rae1234 Thread Starter

I have just purchased a new computer and need to uninstall Windows XP and install Windows 2000. How would I do this?

2. r00ted

r00ted

if it were me, I would backup everything on the hard drive(s), and format it clean, then install Windows 2000. As far as installing Windows 2k, Im not too sure heh. I guess pop the disk in and see what happens :p

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

I'm a 2000 fan and use it on my main machine but if XP is already installed would it serve you better to keep it? I say this because you'll have to format and install 2K fresh or dual boot the two OS's.

PS: Welcome to our little neck of the woods.

4. Rae1234

Rae1234 Thread Starter

Thanks - I'm doing this for one of our goverment customers otherwise I would'nt be doing it at all. I've never formated the C: drive before so I'm a little nervous about doing this. Do I just format c: at the DOS prompt and then load the windows 2000 from the CD after the format is done?

Since it's a new computer, there's nothing on it except the XP - so there nothing really to backup. Thanks for your help.

5. thegreatone

thegreatone

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

7. Tact

Tact

if 2000 is anything like xp, popping in the cd, rebooting, and following the instructions to install 2000, it should eventually ask you if you want to format the partition you plan to install 2000 in, (that's what xp does when i wanna format and reinstall). and if so, just say yes.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Boot with your win2k cd [cd set as first boot device in the bios] After setup loads, choose the partition you have xp on now and delete it. Choose to create a partition and format with ntfs; setup will continue and load win2k.

I like to have all updates, service pack 4, DirectX9b, and all drivers I need burned to a cdr. This will make your install go much easier.

9. Rae1234

Rae1234 Thread Starter

Thank you crjDriver - I got a few questions. First one - How do I set the First Boot Device in Bios? Second one - I'm not sure what you mean by choose a partition - Do you mean the C Drive? Last question - Format with ntfs - Is that an option that will display for me or do I type it on the command line.

I'm sure its very apparently that I've never done this before - and I really appreciate all the help I'm getting on this forum.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Each bios is a little different; usually you will see a message to the effect "press DEL key for setup" or some other key such as F1 F2, etc to enter setup. Once into the bios, the boot order can be under advanced chipset options or there may be a menu called boot or boot devices. Once in that area, you will change the order from A, C, CD to CD as first boot device. Save your settings and restart with your win2k cd in the cd drive. Some mgf's call the order Floppy, HD, CD, there are many ways to lable the devices.

After setup loads, you will see all of the available places you can install win2k; highlight the drive / partition that xp is in now. Read the menus carefully; you will be given the option to delete the partition and be required to confirm the delete. After you have finished, it will show what used to be C as unformatted or raw. Choose to create a partition [note if you want more than one, use the backspace key to type in a new value. It defaults to the full size of the drive] the next menu gives format options. Choose to format with ntfs [unless you really want fat32] and setup continues.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice