1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstalled Anti-Virus / Disabled Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Shadhahvar, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shadhahvar

Shadhahvar Thread Starter

Hello!
    This past week I was having some serious issues with my System process (in the task manager) using way too much memory, in fact it was pretty much all of my memory, so I decided to start eliminating possible problem programs to fix it. I started with my firewall and realized that I had a very old McAfee firewall still running even though I had uninstalled that program almost a year ago. I downloaded a removal tool for McAfee and while I was at it I figured I'd download tools for Norton and Avast! since I've used those in the past as well. I ran all of these with no problems. After I turned on Windows firewall and found my system was still acting up. I decided to uninstall AVG (which was my current anti-virus software) to see what happened. When that was complete I suddenly could not connect to my network at all. I've tried to make a new connection and the wizard says the both my wireless adapter and my Networking controller are disconnected. I have read it's normal for the wireless to read as disconnected but I don't think it is for the controller. Needless to say, the connection wizard did not work. All of my network devices are installed and functioning according to the device manager so I am unsure how to proceed.
    The problem I've encountered most is that any troubleshooting methods I've seen involve clicking on the network connection in your system tray. I have no icon for that there, nor are there any available networks in my network connections.

Any help would be much appreciated! :)
    Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Start, I mean continue, your cleanup with one of the following.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. Shadhahvar

Thank you for your speedy reply! I will get to work immediately :p

4. Shadhahvar

I'm running XP SP3, sorry I forgot to mention that earlier. I used your suggested repair and the WINSOCK reset definately worked but the TCP/IP stack reset didn't say whether it worked or not. It simply returned another command prompt.
    There's no change by the way :rolleyes:. I tried to create a new connection again after doing this and it wouldn't.

Oh yeah! I should mention I also have SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes installed. Hopefully those arent causing issues too...

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In Device Manager you have no warnings or errors, and your ethernet and wireless both show as enabled under Network Adapters, right?

Do both connections show in Network Connections? If so, are they enabled?

Please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

6. Shadhahvar

Everything is enabled and there are no error messages in device manager.

I ran ipconfig and it returned nothing...

Windows IP Configuration

and then blank space and the command prompt again.

Doh!

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That result from ipconfig /all usually means there are no installed and enabled network adapters; quite at odds with what you found in Device Manager and Network Connections.

Try SFC /SCANNOW.

The only additional suggestion I have before doing a fresh install is an XP Repair Install.

8. Shadhahvar

"Files that are required to run windows properly must be copied to the DLL cache.

Please insert the Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now."

I'n downloading the .iso file now. Think it could work? *crosses fingers*

If not, I don't have XP CDs.. my computer came with XP on it. I have a set of recovery disks that I can use to do a full system restore but that's not something I'd enjoy doing if I don't have to.

I was in the market for a new computer anyway :(

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Without a valid XP installation CD I think the Recovery disks are the way to go.

Else borrow somebody else's XP CD. You have to match Home or Pro, and Retail or OEM, but you can use the CD even to install XP. You, of course, use your own Product key.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!