1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstalling 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Dxonn, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dxonn

Dxonn Thread Starter

I want to install an OEM for Windows 98 SE, but my computer already has a prirated version of 98 installed on it. When I do to uninstall/install programs - it doesn't even list Windows 98 as being on my computer. I want to get rid of this operating system so that I can install the new Windows 98 ES OEM. Right now, it's telling me I already have an operating system and I have to buy the upgrade. I didn't buy the upgrade because the 98 that's on it is all messed up and it not a "legal" version.

Can I rid my computer of any operating system so that I can install the OEM I purchased?

It's a Sony Vaio machine that originally came with windows 95 installed.

How can I get rid of these systems and start from scratch?

Thanks, Dixie

2. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

3. mrss

mrss Guest

And after you install, you still won't see windows as a component you can remove in the add/remove software console. Only a few of the windows updates show there, and you probably do want to update your win98 to the last version released by Microsoft.

Save off any email, documents, bookmarks, photos, and programs you want to keep before you reformat the drive. Also be sure you have the drivers needed to run the video, sound, modem, LAN, etc, on the Vaio before you start or you may get stuck if they're not in the Windows CD.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Windows98 is not a program it is the operating system. That is why it doesn't show up in add/remove programs.

If you want to start from scratch:

Format the drive
    The install the OEM version that is correct for your computer

5. Dxonn

Dxonn Thread Starter

How would I know if the drivers are included on the Windows CD? I don't want to lose my drivers. thanks, Dx

6. Dxonn

Dxonn Thread Starter

How do I format the drive? I know I'm not very experienced at this. Sorry. I do need your help! dx

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"How would I know if the drivers are included on the Windows CD? "

If it is an OEM CD, it should have come from the manufacturer with the included drivers. In this case, check with Sony to make sure the drivers are either on the CD or available from their web site.

8. SB305

SB305

The link which Blue Zee gave shows very clearly how to format your hard drive.
    At the bottom it also shows, when using fdisk before actually formatting, how to delete the existing partition. You then create the new partition in fdisk, as shown in the screenshots above, restart and format.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Just make sure you have all the necessary Win98 drivers before completely erasing the hard drive.

Nothing worse that blindly starting on a process like this only to find that you can't fully install or use the new operating system.

10. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Must fully agree with the comment above regarding drivers.

You can also try renaming WIN.COM to WIN.OLD from a DOS prompt.

WIN.COM is located in the C:\WINDOWS folder.

This usually works around and avoids that message reporting an OS is already installed.

If or when asked, install to C:\WINDOWS, do not accept any other suggestions.

This will allow the legal reinstall and will keep your current applications, settings, etc.

Zee

11. Dxonn

Dxonn Thread Starter

I followed the steps from the screen shots, but when I got to Step 7, I got A:>, NOT A:, so I couldn't type A:\D:\WIN98\format C: , so I typed it with the >, and got an error message "invalid drive specification" . Also when I followed the steps to create the partition the first time, I didn't get the screen listed, I got a message that said the partition was already made. Then I fooled around a bit more, and got "create an MS-DOS Boot Partition for Windows" Then I got a D:\WIN98> and I didn't know what to do with that. Yikes. I'm confused. Thanks, Dixie

12. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

D:\WIN98>

Type

FORMAT C:

Press Enter (see step 8).

Did you read Bob Cerelli's comments on drivers?

13. Old Rich

Old Rich

Most win98 installation discs are bootable . . set your BIOS to boot first from CD and delete the partitions, create new ones, format and install . .

You can also run fdisk from the win98 boot disc to delete partitions, then recreate them . . then format and install.

14. Dxonn

Dxonn Thread Starter

Ok, I got all the way to Step Nine and it was installing the wizard to help me and it got to 45% and then froze up. I clicked around a little and then a text box appeared that said "waiting for system shutdown" - so I turned off the computer to try again later.
    Any suggestions now? Thanks so much for your support and help with this. Dixie

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since step nine seems to really quite a few individual steps, what part did it it get stuck?

What was done before. For example did you repartition and/or format the drive

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice