1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstalling a program

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by momofsix33, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. momofsix33

momofsix33 Thread Starter

Good day,
    My laptop has been working fine for 6 months until my daughter used it. She installed a program called "I Give-Shopping_Window" which supposedly gives a percentage of things you purchase from stores on their site to a non-profit of your choice. Anyway, I've noticed a major sluggishness since this program has been on here.

I went to control panel and tried to uninstall and got an error message that said there may have been a problem uninstalling and gave me 2 options to choose: "Uninstall using recommended settings" and "This program uninstalled correctly." I chose the first option and it did nothing.

I then went to my C drive and found the folder. I clicked on it and hit delete and was if I really want to move it to the recycle bin and I said yes. Then a window pops up that tells me I need to confirm this operation. I hit continue, another window pops up that says "Windows needs your permission to continue" and I hit continue. THEN I get a window that says, "Destination folder access denied, you need permission to perform this action."

I went to the registry to try and delete it and it's no where to be found! I opened the task manager and lo and behold, it's listed as an actively running program. I clicked on it and hit "End Process" and it didn't do anything!

I just want to get rid of this program and nothing I seem to do is correct. I am really 'stupid' when it comes to technical terms so I would appreciate it if you would dumb it down for me!
    Many thanks!

2. sockerdudex

sockerdudex

well. make sure you have ownership and full control on both recycle and program files. that should solve the permision problem.

3. asgt

asgt

Might be worth running a virus and spyware scans to fix any "crap" that was installed with it.

Windows Defender, Ad-aware, Sypbot S&D, AVG Anti-spyware etc.

Maybe booting into Safe Mode (when you turn the PC on, keep pressing F8 until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears) might help. Safe Mode will only load the bare minimum that Windows really needs to run so it might let you get rid of it then.

Hope that helps

Andy

4. sockerdudex

sockerdudex

yea that would too. and you should defintely do that it its really crap and mysteriouis software. but as far as getting the program gone you should start with that, but yes, defintely make sure know malware is on your computer

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Don't run those programs in safe mode, they will remove less, that is a use only if you have to. may i suggest something better to remove that? www.superantispyware.com

6. qamersland

qamersland

hey friends.
    i bought new sony vgn-n365 laptop and there were MS Office 2007 trial version were installed which expired after 6o days and i installed MS Office 2003 and now i can not uninstall MS office 2007. can some one help me how uninstall it?

thanks

7. jm100dm

jm100dm

Welcome to tech support guy.

I would suggest that you do a system restore to a date prior to installing 2003 and then uninstall 2007 before reinstalling 2007.

For future reference please always start a new thread for problems not related to helping with the current thread that you read. To do this you would go to forum that you want to post it in and click on the new thread button. Many people that may be able to help you would not even see your question as you posted it in a thread that already has people helping to solve the specific problem listed in the title.

Jeff

8. sockerdudex

sockerdudex

that would work too

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/681196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice