1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstalling Dell Support Center updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by daisyplaid, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daisyplaid

daisyplaid Thread Starter

A few weeks ago I did two updates - one was the Dell Support Center update and the other was an update entitled KB951978. Since then, I'm unable to shut down my computer - I get an error message asking me to end "sprtcmd.exe". I hit "end now", and usually it shuts down OK. In addition, it's taking much longer for web pages to load and applications to run.

I'm scared to uninstall the updates - is it safe to do that? Everything was perfectly fine until then. I saw the other thread with tips on how to do it.

My question is: do I uninstall the Dell Support Center UPDATE or the entire thing itself? I'm afraid to get rid of it altogether.

Also, should I try uninstalling the KB951978 update? I have no idea or comfort level with what that is.

Thanks!

2. Everway9

Everway9

What OS/service pack are you using?

3. daisyplaid

daisyplaid Thread Starter

Hello, I'm on Windows XP service pack 3. I uninstalled the other update successfully, but it did not fix the problem.

Also, the Dell Support Center Update says I cannot remove it. However, the original Dell Support Center Software is removable.

Is this what I uninstall? The other threads said this works and I'm hoping for success.

Thanks!

4. Everway9

Everway9

You could make a backup image of you PC just in case then do it

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/762302

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice