1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

uninstalling ipv6

Discussion in 'Networking' started by srumfelt, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. srumfelt

srumfelt Thread Starter

How do I uninstall ipv6 to revert back to ipv4 on my windows xp on dell demension 8200 computer.

2. coulterp

coulterp

I have Dim 8200 with XP SP1 and with the default delivery I don't have IPv6 installed.

Try:

Start / My Network Places / View Network Connections.
    Find you Local or Wireless connection icon therein under LAN or High-Speed Connection.
    Right click and Properties.
    You should an "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" item listed under "Connection uses the Following Items". I guess if you have IP V6 installed you should have something else also listed to that effect under here (becuase in order to install IPv6 I would have to use the "Install / Protocol " option on this screen to get it), and the item I've listed there above is the standard IPv4 option.

Hope that helps.

3. srumfelt

srumfelt Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. When i install ipv4 like you said, will it remove the tunnel addresses I have on my ip address now. I have 3-4 different tunnels with different ip addresses. Not sure how they got there but i think it is keeping me from running the internet with windows explorer.I do not run a remote system. Just a personal home desktop that only I use. I have tried ipconfig release and renew but the tunnels keep coming back when i renew. I thought maybe uninstalling the driver and taking card out and start back up. Then shutdown and install card boot up and install driver may erase the tunneling. Could you let me know what to do.

4. coulterp

coulterp

I don't know what these tunnelling addresses are or where they might have come from. What does the ipconfig/all command report on your PC?

5. srumfelt

srumfelt Thread Starter

I cannot get on the internet. My cable internet company came out and they said after 2 hours looking into it that my cable is working fine. I am going thru a linksys router. I can go onto xbox live but cannot get onto the internet using windows explorer. The cable company told me that it looked like the bad ip addresses that were in my ip address were keeping me off the internet. I called linksys about it and they said to disable the firewalls and the bad addresses should clear. I disabled xp and mcafee firewall but still have the bad ip addresses and cant get on the internet.
    IP ADDRESS:
    This is close to what my Ip address looks like.
    Ip address-This one reads out like it should.
    Subnet Mask-This one reads out like it should.
    Then another IP address: fe80--2c0:26ff:fe7b:94f7%4
    Tunnel adapter teredo tunneling pseudo interfaces
    IP Address- fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
    Tunnel adapter teredo tunneling pseudo interfaces
    IP address fe80:5efe:my real IP address.100x2

"I have been told this is maybe a remote setup which I do not have. How do I disable being in remote."

How can I reset this or clear it to get my ip address to read right and hopefully get me back to using the internet again. I also am abe to use my program using window xp just cannot get on the internet. Let me know I would appreciate it.

6. coulterp

coulterp

7. srumfelt

srumfelt Thread Starter

Thanks alot for the information. I will check tese sites out and try to fix this problem I have.

8. srumfelt

srumfelt Thread Starter

I got it installed and then configured my driver for single computer. Got rid of the tunneling. My ip address is different now buy looks like a similiar format. My network connection appears to work but I still cannot get on the internet. I can get on xbox live and access my email on microsoft outlook but windows explorer locks up when I try to get on the internet. I have cable. I think it may be something in windows explorer keeping me out. Maybe i need to do a repair or reinstall windows xp to fix it. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks for your input.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice