1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstalling McAfee

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Shamrock, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

"NOTE: If at any time you are prompted to remove shared files, answer Yes To All.
    Windows will then attempt to remove McAfee VirusScan from your computer."

Some say to remove shared files and others don't seem to think that's a good idea. Any opinions?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Shamrock
    Removing shared files is risky. If you don't then you can create orphans and if you do incorrectly you create other program errors. I guess that is why people are tossed on the subject. If you are removing McAfee from your system there are explicit instructions from McAfee on how to do it. It is still tedious though.

McAfee 4.0 uninstall
    http://www.mcafeehelp.com/faq.asp?docid=597&CategoryId=106&chat=
    Mcafee 5.0 ininstall
    http://www.mcafeehelp.com/default.asp?docid=263
    Mcafee 5.1 uninstall
    http://www.mcafeehelp.com/default.asp?docid=262

Dave

3. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

I 'want' to get rid of McAfee but not quite ready to do it. I will check out the links you mentioned. Thanks

4. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

I did remove McAfee from add/remove. It asked if I wanted to delete a shared file that wasn't being used. MCKRNL.VXD. Said if a program is using it.....(could cause problems deleting) if you leave it on your system it won't hurt anything. I said 'no' don't delete. So it went its merry way then later said there were 8 files left in C:\program files\Network ***.\McAfee that setup is unable to account for. Network ***. suggests that you remove this directory and all the contents with in for proper un-install. Would you like set up to remove it all? I then said 'yes'.
    I looked where the shared file had been and it was gone so they did take it out anyway.

So, now anything else that I need to do to make sure it is all out?
    This was an old version of McAfee 4.0.3

Ok... are those 'stars' up there after Network like a 'bleep'? I was shortening Associates. :eek:

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Shamrock
    If you feel comfortable with working in the registry and you do not have any other active McAfee products you are using then
    you could use the find function in regedit to search and delete all references to McAfee. Also if you do edit the registry, make sure you back up your registry before you do this in case of problems.
    Another item you could do is start/search for McAfee and delete any references their also.
    Using the remove feature and following McAfee uninstall article should of removed all the critical components so another AV can be added safely, however you will find scraps left behind using the above procedures.
    Dave

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

No, I am not comfortable messing with the registry.
    When I did a find for McAfee the only stuff that it listed were 12 HTML documents in c:cpqs\support\rooms\Compaq and also one shortcut to the same place.
    Should I delete those?

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

Shamrock
    Cannot advise you on what Compaqs usage is for html pages but they should not interfer. Maybe someone else may have some ideas about them.
    Dave

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice