1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstalling Microsoft Edge

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by LoveGoldens, Jan 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LoveGoldens

LoveGoldens Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Just something to think about...

I didn't want "Edge" on my computer so, I eliminated it. But, by doing that, it corrupted my entire system so badly that I had to get another computer! Apparently, MS$ wants total control of everything, including forcing users to use MS$ own software! All I wanted to do was use my own choice of installing the Firefox browser. That should have been a simple thing to do.

EDITED:
    My system was a Windows 10 OS.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I had no problem using Edge to download Firefox and installing it on my home computer running Windows 10 Professional. I did have Windows 10 security set to ask for confirmation before installing any non-MS-Store apps and just clicked the "Allow" button to do the installation.

3. LoveGoldens

First Name:
    Larry
    I had Windows 10 Home version. I downloaded Firefox from Mozilla, directly and then uninstalled Edge. I rebooted. They are two separate software programs so, I thought it would be best to not cause a conflict between the two of them. Result for me was a disaster! Microsoft offered NO alerts, warnings, or anything else to protect me. Very typical. My software also asked me if I wanted to install new software. I clicked "Yes." --I thought it was safe. Now, I have 5 dead computers and only 1 of them is working, so far. Ha ha.
    --Thanks for your reply. Sometimes, I really miss Windows 7 Professional. It worked for everything I needed and it was much faster and much more user-friendly. Oh, well.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Heck, I really miss Windows XP. It did everything I wanted. Never cared for virtual libraries in Windows 7 and did everything I could to make it behave like XP.
    I never tried to delete Edge and just made Firefox my default browser and that seems to work OK except for somethings in Windows 10 still loading Edge instead of Firefox when requesting more information.

Have you tried Windows repair installations on the computers that got hosed when you gutted them of Edge?

5. LoveGoldens

First Name:
    Larry
    The Windows 7 Pro system was one I built myself, several years ago, buying the best hardware I could find at the time; over $2,500.00. It's still sitting on my desk. Full all Aluminum Tower case, 5 bays, top-rated 600W "Gold" PSU, a huge Cooler-Master cooling system, and more. It was perfect! Then, one day it wouldn't boot. I couldn't even get to my files. I tried but, I couldn't get past the black screen to enter Windows 7 Pro on it. I tried endlessly. I lost tons of valuable data, passwords, etc. MS$ didn't protect me.

I'm still hoping that someone will tell me how to retrieve that data by using a USB stick loaded with a UNIX program so it can read that inaccessible drive so I can transfer it to another computer. 500GB's! I read on this forum, years ago, that it can be done. I lost that post. Now, I'm stuck with Windows 10 Home edition, which I dislike, greatly. I'm getting too old (74+) to keep up with the ever-changing whims of companies which change things --just because they can, and only for profit. Plus, I see no improvements, but only software that has been stripped of friendly user-control. Geeesh.

Edited:
    Trying to use Windows' lame repair wasn't possible because I could not access Windows!

6. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Why not just re-install Win 10?
    Myself, I always backup my OS with a drive image.

Firefox installed on my Win 10 Pro computer with no issues.

Have you tried other operating systems?
    I also use XenialPup and it works well for me. If you want to abandon MS, Linux has much to offer.

7. wbennett77

wbennett77

How did you eliminate Edge?

8. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John

Puppy Linux will boot from a USB flash drive.
    It's often recommended at TSG for retrieving data from Windows computers that won't boot.

I turn 74 in ~ 2 months, but I've found XenialPup easy to work with.
    I use it mostly for the Internet but still use Win 7 as a standalone for office/family record keeping.

If you're interested in trying out Puppy, just ask for help in the Linux forum, there are many here that will help.

9. LoveGoldens

First Name:
    Larry
    You can't reinstall Windows on a computer that won't boot-up! That was just one of my problems. heh-heh.

10. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Well, if you have a hardware problem, it won't.

I have installed Win 10 Pro on a new, bare drive. The Win 10 install media boots up the computer for installation. You don't need an installed OS to install or re-install Win 10.

11. LoveGoldens

First Name:
    Larry
    I'm no expert but, I thought re-installing a new OS on a drive that's filled with data, will overwrite the existing data. That's what I did not want to do. It's the data I want to recover. Of, course, I'd love to recover everything. I have thousands of dollars worth of software, spread sheets with valuable info, passwords, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'd love to get that machine running again even though Windows 7 can't be updated. I would use it off-line (No-Wifi).

12. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
  13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can install Windows 10 from a Usb stick made using the Media Creation Tool :-
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The computer doesn't need to boot into windows, it boots using the Usb stick you make.
    You may have to go into the Bios and set Usb as the first boot device or use the boot device menu by pressing a particular F key.

14. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Chuck, you know Win10 still has IE. You could always use that to download Firefox ...

15. LoveGoldens

First Name:
    Larry
    First, learning the syntax of Linux is beyond me, at my age.

Thanks for your reply. During the time I was searching for a way to get to the data on my Win 7 Pro system, I was pointed to UBUNTU or UBUNTU "Live" by someone on this forum who obviously knew a helluva lot more than I did. But, due to my personal health reasons, I was unable at that time to follow through. He said buy 1 or more USB sticks (64GB's or more) which had the UBUNTU utility pre-installed on them.), since I was hoping to Xfer up to just under 500GB's of info. Plus, I'd have to buy a new 1TB or 2TB HDD so I could have a place to install a new Win 7 Pro OS and have enough disk space for all the files I wanted to Xfer. At that time, it was too daunting, emotionally, to attempt.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice