1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstalling Movie Maker

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by matt.choules, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt.choules

matt.choules Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I did a search here before posting and couldn't find anything about it, so here's a simple question: Is it possible, and more more importantly, is it ok to delete movie maker?

I use Premiere, and so have absolutely no need for movie maker...
    I found a "how to" on wikihow, but want to check before deleting:

http://www.wikihow.com/Uninstall-Windows-Movie-Maker

I mean, there are no shared dll's or anything important in the movie maker directory is there??

Cheers.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    are u on windows xp? unless im wrong u cant uninstall windows movie maker. its part of the windows operating system.if someone has a better answer im sure they will advise u.if u dont want it or need just let it sit there and dont use it. hope this helps u.

3. xconwayx

xconwayx

This was taken from: http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11184-0.html?forumID=49&threadID=191881&messageID=1980245

movie maker is inatalled as part of XP, It does not show up on either the add or remove programs or the add or remove windows components. The upgrade to it will however show up if you turn of the view updates. (providing you installed the patch from microsoft to MM)

However, it is a rare instance of a self contained program. ie all it's dll's are located in the program directory, not where they should be in system32 directory. This means you can safely delete the movie maker folder from the Programs folder and delete any shortcuts from your menu without causing any damage.

There are a couple of registry entries which could / should be deleted,

Just do a search in your registry on movie maker and delete any specific references.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice