1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstalling MSN

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mlmorris, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mlmorris

mlmorris Thread Starter

There are two programs listed in the Program Files of my computer, but NOT listed in the Control Panel/Add/Remove programs list:

MSN
    MSN Gaming Zone

Is there any way to uninstall them? Presumably, just deleting the files will not work. I searched this forum for answers, but without success.

2. Specsnow

Specsnow

Hi there,

Atually, removing these two items is simple. If you have Windows 9x/ME, then go to Add/Remove Programs and select the tab that says Windows Setup. If you have Windows 2000 or later, then go to Add/Remove Programs and select Add/Remove Windows Components. MSN should be it's own category (sometimes labeled "MSN Explorer" also), and MSN Gaming Zone should be under Accessories>Games. Just un-check their boxes and continue until the wizard has finished. It is possible that the wizard may ask you for your Windows Installation CD as well, so have it handy if you have one.

Hope this helps.

3. mlmorris

mlmorris Thread Starter

I have Win XP/Pro SP3

"Atually, removing these two items is simple." Thanks for your reply, but removing these two items is not as simple as you might expect.

"go to Add/Remove Programs and select Add/Remove Windows Components. MSN should be it's own category (sometimes labeled "MSN Explorer" also)" Yes, I found it listed as MSN Explorer.

"Just un-check their boxes and continue until the wizard has finished." The instructions are "To add or remove a component, click the checkbox." This I did. I also made sure that other items in the list, which were checked when the list opened, were unchecked. While the "wizard" was working, the message "deleting files" appeared briefly.

After the "wizard" finished (and I restarted the computer), I checked the Program Files directory. The folder marked MSN is still present, with 2 subfolders, one of which is empty. I deleted the empty folder.

The MSN Gaming Zone folder was empty, but I could not delete it. I receive the message "MSN Gaming Zone is in use ...." which it is not. BTW, although there is a "Accessories and Utilities/Games" choice in the Add/Remove Windows Components, MSN Gaming Zone is not listed there.

There are some other oddities about Add/Remove Windows Components, but for the moment, I am interested in sticking with my original intent of removing MSN.

Any additional ideas?

4. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

5. mlmorris

mlmorris Thread Starter

"'Unlocker' may help."

Thanks for your information. I downloaded the program, but it will be a day or two before I will be able to try it. I will post the results to this thread.

Have you used it? If so, did it work for you?

6. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Answers: Yes and Yes.

There is another similar program frequently mention here at TSG: "Move on Boot". Use a Google, etc. search for it.

Good luck.

{redoak}

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice