1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstalling Norton software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Tom Seeley, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

I've decided to deep six all my Norton software. I'm running Norton Systemworks 2004 on my desktop and 2005 on my laptop.

I will NOT tamper with my registry. I simply don't have the smarts or the confidence to do that. I know many of you are way smarter than I am and would have no qualms at all doing that. But not me!

So I'm left with only a couple methods, and I'm curious which you all think I should use:

1. Control Panel/Uninstall only
    2. #1 plus manually searching my entire hard drive, using R-click Start/Explore and finding and then deleting everything I can find that contains the word Norton or the Word Symantec

or

3. The uninstall routine available from Norton's website.

Comments, please?:confused:

Thx

2. SouthParkXP101

SouthParkXP101 Banned

i would just simply use controll panel add/ remove programs and clik on it and then click on remove

3. Moby

Moby

Are you aware of Norton's own removal tool available from their website? Norton is notorious for leaving bits of itself on your computer, hence they have come up with a removal tool that gets rid of lingering items. With this in mind, I would use options 1 and 3, using their removal tool.

4. notdbritest

notdbritest

Go ahead and print out all their removal notes. Read and reread. Light candles and sacrifice a goat. Good luck!

Actually, my removal of Norton is what introduced me to 5star support, and to formatting hard drives. I made the mistake of not backing up my registry before trying to edit per Norton's instructions...You're already two steps ahead of me--you recognize your limits, and you already know about 5star support.

It can be done--I've since done it on my second computer and it was no harder than any other uninstall. I think the difference is that the first computer had a two-year old version that had been updated each year until Norton quit supporting it, and the second computer was a current year that hadn't been updated. From my experience, I would use the add/remove programs first, then run the Norton removal tool to pick up the leftovers.

5. notdbritest

notdbritest

Sorry, guys--forgot which forum I was on.

Tom, either way, you're ahead of where I was when I unstalled Norton--whether your support staff be here or elsewhere.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice