1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstalling Norton System Works 2001

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by doogdoog, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha,
    I tried to uninstall Norton System works using their uninstall program and it says something like "do you want to uninstall Netscape 7.1" . Is this another way Norton keeps you from uninstalling Norton?? What has Netscape 7.1 has to do with Norton?? It does uninstall it because I uninstalled it and it removed my Netscape 7.1 browser. It is a good thing that I had a backup copy of my drive but Norton is back in again. Any suggestions? I would like to keep Netscape 7.1 because of my multiple users and settings. TIA

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

2. beefy

beefy

3. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha Beefy,
    Thanks for the link and now I can tell that Symantec is really discouraging people from removing their program . There should be a class action suit against companies like that. Now they will say that they provided support to uninstall their program but it takes you in circles. Do this and if this doesn't work do this etc. They should come up with a software fix that should do it automatically for all of their programs and now I have doubts of their virus protection. Looks like I will have to shop around for another virus protection software.

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

4. TO Lady

TO Lady

My two cents: how I read the conflict on that link is that unfortunately Netscape named one of their files the exact same name that norton used back in 2001. Guess Netscape figured that most folks would not be using any Norton products from three years ago. I don't think it's them trying to keep their product on your machine. Don't forget, a program like this gets deep into your computer to protect you in the first place, so making sure it all gets out on an uninstall might be a little tricky. Thankfully in the past, my bacon has been saved quite a few times by Norton stuff. Again, just my two cents' worth and you might even think I'm due for change back :D

5. raybro

raybro

For what it's worth, I'm in complete agreement with TO Lady. I've been using Norton products since my novice days with a Macintosh and the simple Norton Utilities. I've never had a problem that was not solvable by doing adequate research. To paraphrase TO Lady, NSW MUST be embedded deep into your computer in order to do the job it is tasked to do. I'm not a programmer, so I cannot say with authority Symantec cannot write an uninstall program which would absolutely remove every trace and remnant of their program, but I can say that if one follows the manual removal instructions contained in the Symantec Kbase for any given product or combination of products, you can remove it/them completely. It takes a little effort and you cannot be intimidated by editing the Registry, but it can be done quite easily.

There are a lot of negative comments about Symantec on just about every forum I attend and this makes it easy to jump on the "Down with Symantec" bandwagon. I, for one, do not subscribe to this "trend".

Symantec products I currently use, enjoy and consider essential for my computers health include:

NSW 2002
    Norton Ghost
    GoBack (formerly Roxio)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!