1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstalling Operating Systems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RosieS, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RosieS

RosieS Thread Starter

My hard drive is divided into two partitions running Windows ME and Windows 2000 Professional NT. Windows 2000 is currently causing problems in that mouse movement is delayed, and also the shutdown process is lengthy, followed by a blank blue screen, sometimes not shutting down at all.

As I would prefer to make a clean install of XP Pro it would be great to get rid of the former operating systems. Can anyone advise on how to go about this?

Much appreciated.

Rosie

2. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Hello Rosie, It should be easy, but first of all you should take the Windows XP compatability test at PC Pitstop.

XP-READY? http://www.pcpitstop.com/xpready/default.asp COMPATIBILITY TEST BEFORE ATTEMPTING INSTALL of XP.

You just back up your data, boot to the XP CD (Does it have SP2, btw?) delete the two old partitions, make a new ones to install to and format it then allow setup to install.

CLEAN INSTALL XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

It will help to know the drive size, quantity of RAM, and if your present partitioning scheme suits you, or do you want to change?

This computer is four years old, and was originally made for Windows 2000

Originally it had 256Mb SDRAM, not enough for XP. 512Mb is much better. Only add more if your programs really need more.

3. RosieS

RosieS Thread Starter

Big thank you. I have a P4 2.00 Mhz with 256 RAM. Avail disk space of 46.72 GB on an 80 (I think!). Ran the test (wish I'd known about this site) which gives clearance apart from some CD/RW software so I'll get rid. Will examine 'XP Clean Install' link.

Again, thanx for all yr help. Much appreciated.

Kd rgds

Rosie

4. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

My pleasure. If your XP Professional CD is new then it should have SP2, but if not, then it is best to slipstream SP together with you XP CD and make an .ISO file, using AutoStreamer 1ยท0. You can then burn an XPSP2 CD (CD-ROM(ISO)) which will make the installation go easier. You get a cleaner install as well.

Your RAM is a bit low for really good overall performance with XP.

You should consider getting a good defragmentation program which will not only defragment the paging file and master file tables, but which can also maintain your drive at peak operating levels and defragment automatically.

5. RosieS

RosieS Thread Starter

The machine hasn't been updated in the past 3/4 years so it's probably time to do something. Thx. I do have XP Pro with SP2. Pardon my ignorance by how do I boot from floppy? I'm assuming you place the floppy in the A drive and switch the machine on - never had to do it!

Thx again,

kd rgds

Rosie

6. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

To boot from a floppy you do exactly as you said.

But when you install XP you shouldn't need to use a floppy. You should be able to boot directly to the XP CD by making the CD-ROM the first boot device.

I use a little labour saver called oldbios.exe (works for new BIOSes too).

You can download it from http://ebcd.pcministry.com (right at the bottom of the Downloads page) to your hard drive, put a formatted floppy in the A: drive and double-click on it to make a boot re-director floppy.

All you have to do then is to put the OLDBIOS floppy in the A: drive and the XPSP2 CD in the CD-ROM drive and re-boot.

You should see "Press any key to boot from CD-ROM... " appear on your screen. Press the - ANY - key! ;)

Setup will start to load and you just follow the instructions on the screen.

If you see the "Press any key to boot from CD-ROM... " message again DON'T press the - ANY - key! ;)

Just let setup re-boot the computer when it needs to.

You shouldn't need the six Windows XP Professional SP2 bootdiskettes if you do it this way.

God luck with the install!

ANY time!

7. RosieS

RosieS Thread Starter

Big thx - much appreciated. Need the luck!

Rosie

8. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

You're very welcome.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!