1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

uninstalling problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sammied47477, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sammied47477

sammied47477 Thread Starter

I am trying to replace XP with 98 on my partners computer as a program that he needs (the only program he needs on the computer) wont work under XP. So a question.
    Q, how do I replace XP with 98? I tried just running the 98 CD from booting up, but it comes back saying the 98 setup cant winstall 98 because of an error while creating partitions on the hard disk. Now the computer has two seperate hard drives. will this be the cause of the problem? If so why didnt it say it last time we tried to install 98 (I didnt have a boot disk, but do now). Last time it started to format but because I didnt have a boot disk it wouldnt finish and we ended up having to reinstall XP. Is there a way to uninstall Xp before I try to install 98?

ta

Sam
    :confused:

2. prospect

prospect

Your gonna have to change the file system to a fat 32 to install win 98. you can get a disk here. http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Then you can format it and partition it to a fat 32

3. sammied47477

But how do i change it? sorry but I really don't know all that much about comps besides the basics. Could you give me a step by step?

Ta

4. prospect

prospect

Did ya get the bootdisks yet, or do ya have one that will start with cd rom support?

5. sammied47477

i have the bootdisk for 98

6. prospect

prospect

It's been awhile since I've done this. Shut down the pc, then put the disk in. When ya get to the A:\ prompt type fdisk. Then just delet the partition you have for XP which is NTFS

7. sammied47477

the computer ignored the boot disk! it wont ignore the Cd but the bootdisk it doesnt worry about. how do i get into dos?
    hang on...after it comes up with the error it goes to d:\ ....maybe i can change it to a:\ and go from there...I'll try

8. sammied47477

that worked...now do i enable large disk support? it says that utilities that were not designed for the FAT32 file system will nor be able to work with this disk.

9. prospect

prospect

yes, and make sure you are set up for fat 32, and make sure you know which drive you are working with. I should have warned ya earlier.

10. sammied47477

okay done..now do i create dos partition, set active partition, delete partition, display or change current fixed disk drive?

thanks for you help BTW

11. prospect

prospect

if ya got rid of the NTSF partition, create one. FAT 32

12. sammied47477

do i create a primary DOS, extended DOS or logical dos? How do i get rid of the NTSF partition? I'm confused..how do i make sure that it is setup for FAT32?

13. prospect

prospect

Why don't ya just start over. When ya get to the part where it tells ya to delete the current partition, delete it. It should tell ya it's the NTSF file system. then create one, large disk support. Then get back to us here. Remember to make it a fat 32 file system ok.

14. sammied47477

Okay this is what i have just done.
    - Enabled large disk support
    - should NTFS partitions on all drives be treated as large? i said yes.
    - it then went to the Fdisk options menu. now i got to delete and the delete non-dos partitions? or do i created a DOS partition before i delete NTFS.
    it hasnt told me to delete the current partition.

15. prospect

prospect

Delete the current NTSF FILE partition, then you can make a new one. Your not ready yet to make a new partition until you delete the old one

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice