1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstalling program problems

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Anibarlow, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anibarlow

Anibarlow Thread Starter

I have an Dell Inspiron 1521 with XP proffesional, I have been using a Huawei HSDPA USB modem to access the internet up untill last night when it stopped working. This has happened before and normally if I uninstall it and reinstall it it works again but this time it will not uninstall, when I try to remove the program from, add and remove programs, a window appears saying Setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience, with the option to close this window.

I have also in the past returned to a good restore point but I can't do this either, it goes though the motions ans once the computer has restarted it says, Your system restore was not succesful.

Any ideas??:mad:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Anibarlow:

Why is the high-speed modem connected to your computer via a USB port and not via the network adapter port?

What is the name of the program or driver that you're trying to uninstall in the Add Or Remove Programs list?

Right-click MY COMPUTER, click Properties - Hardware - Device Manager, then click the + in Network Adapters. What's listed there?

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. Anibarlow

Anibarlow Thread Starter

I don't have a telephone line here for dial up or wireless connection, this is rural Ireland, very last century! So this is the only way for me to connect to the internet.

I am trying to uninstall Vodafone 3g Broadband Modem. Normally uninstalling it and reinstalling it ensures that it works correctly once this is done but this time I can't uninstall at all.

Under network adapters is - 1394 network adapter
    - Dell wireless 1390 WLAN mini-Card

I hope this helps!

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

5. Anibarlow

Anibarlow Thread Starter

Where can I find these, bearing in mind I have no internet acceess.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    OK, thanks. I wasn't sure of what type of internet setup you have there. I'm only familiar with 56K dial-up, wired high-speed, wireless high-speed, and satellite dish.

You might have better luck having your thread transferred to the "Network" section. Click "Report" in a reply window and then request your thread be moved there.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. Anibarlow

Anibarlow Thread Starter

I only want to remove the software, will moving help?

8. Phantom010

Use a working computer and save the programs on a USB flash drive. Plug it in your faulty computer and install them.

9. Anibarlow

Anibarlow Thread Starter

Ok, just tried this and it won't let me install the cleanup utility, a window appears and says, Roxio has been suspended, can't not install. So when I go into add and remove propgrams to rerpair roxio an internal error 2755, 1601 C:\WINDOWS\Installer\fb811f.msi Help!!

10. Phantom010

Try Revo.

11. Anibarlow

Anibarlow Thread Starter

Just tried that and it has uninstalled the program but now I have a new problem it wont let me reinstall it!

12. Phantom010

Why not? Do you get an error message?

13. Anibarlow

Anibarlow Thread Starter

No error message, it just says that it can't install hardware and trys to go onto the internet to look for the software.

14. Phantom010

Looks like you don't have the proper driver.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/819236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice