1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstalling Ubuntu and restoring the bootloader.

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by rittan52, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rittan52

rittan52 Thread Starter

Right, so I bought a laptop pre-installed with Windows Vista (therefore no Vista DVD). After a while I decided to try Ubuntu, so I (eventually) managed to dual boot it with Vista.

I decided I don't really like it, so I would like to remove it. I am aware that just deleting the partition will leave me will problems with GRUB not loading properly, and that I ill need to fix the MBR somehow.

Solutions I have found so far involve a Vista DVD, but I don't have one of them, so I can't do that. What I did find though, was a program called VistaBootPro (http://www.vistabootpro.org/). I am under the impression that I can install this in Vista, use it to restore the Vista bootloader, and then delete the Ubuntu partition using the Vista partition tools.

I don't want to wreck my laptop, so I thought I'd get another opinion. Will this work?

2. ChristDude

ChristDude

If I remember correctly, you can configure GRUB to automatically boot Vista, but I'm not positively sure. If you can, that would probably be the easiest method, so you don't have to mess around with trying to restore the Vista bootloader ;).

3. saikee

saikee

You can put Grub into a data-only logical partition, size 100Mb say, and nuke the Linux.

Grub can live happily alone without attached to an operating system.

This threads tells one Grub living alone boots 2 vista.

This thread shows how one can use a selected Linux distro CD/DVD to boot up a MS Windows, Vista included.

You can also make a bootable Grub floppy, Grub CD or Grub USB to boot Vista. There is nothing but choices in Linux.

4. rittan52

rittan52 Thread Starter

I've done that already, but Linux is still there taking up space...

Well having got rid of linux I'm going to dual boot XP (Vista+Old Hardware=Bad), and I have enough partitions as it is. My ideal solution is removing GRUB and using the windows bootloader.

Would my solution work?

5. rittan52

rittan52 Thread Starter

If I were to delete the linux partition and then install XP, would the XP bootloader overwrite the trashed GRUB bootloader?

Then all I would have to do is restore the vista bootloader.

6. saikee

saikee

In the last link of my signature you will find

Task B1 & B2 for restoring MBR for Dos to XP, as they have a common MBR.

Vista uses a different MBR and needs the installation DVD. This is described is Task B7.

If you install XP over the Linux partition then XP's NTLDR will overwrite Grub in the MBR. I am not sure of its interaction with Vista, which is newer. NTLDR may drop the boot loader in the first MS partition it detected and make the installation of Vista's bootmgr more difficult if not impossible. MS systems use only one boot loader to multi-boot systems of its own kind.

If you want each system to have its own boot loader then you need to take a look at here.

7. rittan52

rittan52 Thread Starter

In the end what I did was use the Vista partition tools to delete the Linux partition. Then I installed XP, then useVistabootpro to restore the vista bootloader.

For some reason my laptop hates XP. It refused to connect to my network, it didn't recognise the sound card and there was something wrong the graphics (it used all the CPU power to move a window). So yeah, I expect I'll be getting rid of that shortly. I might try a different Linux distro...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice