1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstalling Vista from HP notebook

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by chaech, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chaech

chaech Thread Starter

Hi. I've been following the thread about replacing Vista with XP but I need a little more basic information to install the XP-SP 2 I bought on my HP Pavilion - AMD Turion - 2 GHz - 2 GB RAM. What steps do I actually take to uninstall Vista - I haven't been able to do it so far? After that can I just put in my XP disk and follow the instructions?
    Thanks.
    Chaech.

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

You have to boot to the XP disk, delete the partition (or just format), and then reinstall XP. Make sure you can find XP drivers for your devices first though. And backup all your important data also.

3. chaech

chaech Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I don't actually know how go into my system and do what you suggested.
    Chaech

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Installing Windows XP on a system that shipped with Vista isn't easy and isn't always possible. If HP's website doesn't have Windows XP drivers for all the hardware, you're left hunting on the Internet for unofficial drivers that may or may not work.

5. js73

js73

Unless there are very good reasons for you to use XP, why uninstall Vista? It takes a little getting used to, but is not as bad as many have made it out to be, especially with your Turion 2.0 GHz (I presume dual core) and 2GB RAM.

6. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

This is very true....so be careful. What exactly about what I suggest don't you understand?

7. chaech

chaech Thread Starter

Hi. Well, I'd like to change for a few reasons. 1, Despite my computer's speed and RAM it runs much more slowly than my old desktop with XP. 2, Vista is apparently incompatibel with my router and I wonder if I may also have problems with other peripherals. 3, I'll be going back and forth between both computers and I'd like to work with just one OS. All the XP drivers seem to be available on HP's website.
    Skinnywhiteboy, I'm sorry but I'm just a beginner and I'd need simpler step by step instructions to boot to the XP disk.
    Thanks.
    Chaech

8. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Insert the Windows XP CD ROM, and reboot your computer. It should be that simple. The XP install will walk you through most of the process. On some machines, you have to press a hot key such as F1, F2, F11, and so on to choose the option to boot to the CD.

Also, what kind of router do you have. A router is just a network device on your network that should work no matter what OS you happen to be using. You should not need any software to make your router work. The make/model of the router would also be helpful.

9. chaech

chaech Thread Starter

I've tried starting up the machine with my XP disk and have gotten a few steps into the installation before Vista refuses to allow an earlier OS to be installed. I've also tried the startup with the F1 key but from the options listed it's not clear to me what to do next. I initially had an nternet connection through my router (Linksys, 2.4 GHz, 54 Mbps) but then lost it. A technician at the store where I bought the computer told me it sounded like a Vista problem.

10. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

You have to either delete the partition and recreate it, or just format the HD.

11. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Unless you provided him with extremely detailed information, that was pretty BOLD of him to say. Usually people who work at little computer stores like that don't know much.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It sounds like you're booting into Windows Vista and not actually from the Windows XP installation disk. You have to either go into the BIOS and change the order of drives the computer boots from (moving the CD/DVD drive to the top) or press a key while the computer is booting to force the computer to boot from the CD (I have no idea what that key would be on an HP laptop).

I think you should consider having a tech-savvy friend help you with this or pay a professional technician / service to do it for you. Even if you get to the point where you're booting from the Windows XP installation disk, you'll likely need to install special drivers for the Windows XP installation disk to "see" your laptop's hard drive. This is yet another involved step in the process.

Once you get through that, you'll need to install drivers for all your hardware since none will be included with Windows XP.

If you want to try to continue this on your own, I would recommend to skinnywhiteboy to increase the amount of detail in his posts so you don't need to ask as many follow-up questions.

13. chaech

chaech Thread Starter

Thanks. I found the key I need to boot from my XP disk. So far so good.

14. chaech

chaech Thread Starter

Thanks to all for their help and ideas...I've got XP up and running. I've still got to get and load all the drivers, repartition the hard disk (I'm going to keep Vista on the machine and perhaps get used to it in my spare time) and figure out how to easily switch back and forth between the 2 OSs. I do have to say that the machine runs WAY faster on XP than it did on Vista.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice