uninstalling vista

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

freakshowinacan

hi
several weeks ago my computer was hit bad with spyware. so bad i had to reinstall the os. my dad had the brilliant idea to try installing vista instead of another os. so now i single boot to vista. it sucks. so i want to reinstall my previous os along with a few others (98 and linux) but i have run into the problem of not being able to unistall vista. i have tried the command prompt way of "osuninst.exe" and this hasn't worked. i am hesitant to try just deleting every thing because i dont want to serious disrupt my computer. please, i want to get vista beta off my computer, any assistance would be more than greatly appreciated. thanks

freakshowinacan

Yeah thats true. I belive it states that once you install vista you cant go back to a previous version. My suggestion is a clean install of your os if you have the cd.

Well, it's not like it's glued to your computer. :) You can uninstall it, you just can't revert to a previous OS without formatting and such.

If your "OS" is XP:
1. Boot onto original XP CD.
2. Press R to enter the Recovery Console.
3. Select your keyboard. (If applies.)
4. Choose the correct installation. Try 1 or \Windows XP.
5. Type admin password (if it doesn't work, leave it blank) and hit enter.
6. Type fixmbr and then Y when asked.
7. Type fixboot and then Y when asked.
**YOU WILL LOSE YOUR DATA IF YOU CONTINUE, BUT VISTA WILL BE UNINSTALLED!**
8. Then type format x: /fs:ntfs hit Y to confirm.
8. Type exit (closing the Recovery Console) and press enter.
9. Re-insert the XP CD and install XP and other OSs, which must be on a different partition.

If you have a different OS, not XP:
1. Use OS CD to reformat HD, and then reinstall your OSs. Here is a good guide for doing this with ME, 98, etc...
http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/how-tos/reinstall-faq.html

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online