uninstalling win98 Se

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

maximaaa

I'm buying a new system and would like to use the 30gig hd I'm presently using as a d: drive to store data.
Since my O/S will be on my c: drive, will it be safe to uninstall the
o/s from the 30gig hd without erasing any of the data I have right now.
If it's ok to uninstall, when and how do I do it.
I'll be returning the original 2gig hd to my present system also so I have a backup system.

Thanks.

My opinion you would be better off installing the old drive as a slave. Copying everything you want to keep to the new drive. Then format the old drive to remove windows and all the programs installed on it that will no longer run. Once done formating you could copy the save data back

maximaaa

won't it be bad to have a O/S both by c: and d: drives?
once I uninstall the o/s on the d: drive, won't it be better if my c: was my primary master and the d: the secondary master w/ my
dvd rom as the primary slave and cd burner as the secondary slave?

Your computer is going to boot off of the primary master drive C.
The os being on d means nothing unless you where to boot off of it. Just removing windows isn't going to remove the applications you have installed on that drive that will more than likely not run anymore. That's the reason I would install it as slave, copy the files to the c drive, then format the old drive. Then you can copy the files back to the clean old drive.

Hooking them up the way you say should be just fine.

When you get the new one the C drive will be the new drive, if you install the old drive as slave it will end up being D, with the burner and cdrom following as E and F

maximaaa

You mean that I should have the new hd as my c: as the primary master and you want the d: drive as the primary slave then have the dvd rom and cr writer either master and slave on my secondary?

os hdd = primary master
2nd hdd = primary slave
both on the primary ide channel

cd writer = secondary master
dvd = secondary slave
both on secondary ide channel

You should have the CD and DVD on different channels, I recommend:

Primary IDE channel have:
os 30GB hd = primary master
dvd = secondary slave

Secondary IDE channel
2nd hd = primary master
cd writer = secondary slave

I would parition the 30GB HD into three OS, APPLICATIONS, and DATA. They would be drives C:, E:, and F:. The OS and application should not require more than 4GB each, the remaining for data. The second HD would be D:. I would use it for BACKUPs, vidoes, MP3s, and Windows cache. This would make the PC run faster and allow you to better manage the information on the HDs. I also recommend you get a copy of DriveImage or Ghost to backup and be able to restore the partitioins, which is pretty fast.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online