1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

uninstalling Windows 98 on dual operating systems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ade992, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ade992

ade992 Thread Starter

Hi

A while back I added Windows 98 onto my PC which had originally been set up with XP. I've run it for a while with dual configured operating systems. Now, to free up hard disk space, I want to get rid of Windows 98. According to Microsoft you can do this from the "add remove programs" list, but it doesn't appear on there.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

2. Memory_Loss

Memory_Loss

Best advice......save all your files you want saved to cd or another hard drive.......format the hard drive and do a fresh install.

3. mobo

mobo

4. ade992

ade992 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.

I've decided to format the hard disk, as the computer needed a clean up anyway.

But when I start formatting, I get an error message saying "Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again"

I get the error message even though no other windows or programs are running.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks

5. mobo

mobo

Download a bootdisk then set the first boot device to A drive. The reboot with the disk and from the a prompt type format c: and see what happens. If that doesn't work the type c: and press enter to change the command prompt to c:> and from here ust type in fromat.

6. LinuxGold

LinuxGold

Since you're going to format the hard drive, I would suggest going into BIOS and have it to re-detect the HD settings, and save it into the BIOS and re-try the format. If it fails, then select different media i.e. LBA, etc. and repeat process. I've encountered that problem before because C/H/S and setting wasn't set correctly.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice