1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

uninstalling windows98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chris m, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chris m

chris m Thread Starter

I upgraded windows 95 to 98 ,i saved all my files in case i wanted to uninstall 98 just like the disk told me.It put an uninstall windows98 in the add remove program but when i went to remove 98 and return to 95 it said it had to scan disk to check for any errors which it did ,then it said windows will shutdown and automatically remove 98 .The screen goes black with just a flashing dot in the corner and the tower doesn't shut down so i had to shut it of but when i start up again 98 is still there .Is there any other way to get rid of 98. Thanks

2. kimmer13

kimmer13

did you use add/remove programs and pick Uninstall Windows 98 from there? if so, you just uninstalled the program called "uninstall windows 98" - the very one it sounds like you wanted to be running...

3. chris m

chris m Thread Starter

Yes i have tried the add remove but it won't uninstall,aalso when i usually shut down my computer at night windows 98 hangs at where it says windows is shutting down and i have to shut down with the button.I was wondering if maybe that is why 98 won't uninstall because it hangs when its suppose to shut down.

4. Dark Star

Dark Star

chris m,

For shutdown hangs take a look in here.........

http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdown.htm

It may be as easy as to just having to disable "fast shutdown" in maconfig, it is worth a look see.

DS

5. rugrat

rugrat

chris m

I would follow Dark Star's advice and check for the fast shutdown problem in msconfig. I would also go to Microsoft Windows update and ensure you have all critical updates here,
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    If you can solve the problems by doing this, Windows 98 is a much more stable os than win95.

Good Luck

6. chris m

chris m Thread Starter

I did as you said and installed the windows updates and it seems to have cleared up the problems i've been having so i guess i'll be keeping windows 98.I also disabled fast shutdown but it didn't work so i will check out the site for shutdown problems today.I just want to say thanks for all your help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice