uninstalling xp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Delita

I messed up my XP settings, so i tried to reinstall it. I didn't know I was partitioning it however, so I'm stuck with 2 XPs. When I tried to uninstall it said "You have already partitioned your hard drive" or something like that and now the uninstall icon is gone and I'm stuck with 2 XPs. Is there any other way to uninstall them safely, and if not, where can I get a good hard drive formatter program? ( Preferably Free )
Thanks

if you upgraded then you had the option to save uninstall settings to your HD to restore to your previous state. It seems you did a clean install so unless you have anything you care about on the HD right now, then reformat it using something like FDISK if you don't have the software from your HD to do so. Reformat and start over.

too many formatting problems with fdisk when trying to format NTFS partitions. Even NT/2000/XP partitions that are FAT32 have problems with FDISK. Kill HDD is the no ifs, ands about it, by far the best formatting utility. No hassle, no worrying. Good day

wow I just looked out my window and the northern lights are incredible! (if you so care)

sorry I missed the part about your link to kill hdd. download that. I also thought you were using FAT32. FDISK is even worse for NTFS.

If you can't boot off the xp cd press f10 I beleive and remove the partitions that way I would download the low level format utility from the hard drive manufacturer.

Note: Do not low level format drives connected to controller cards aka promise, not adviseable, better to connect the drive to the standard ide and then low level format it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online