1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uninstalling XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by geoffreybubb, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geoffreybubb

geoffreybubb Thread Starter

I had a new motherboard fiited but have since found out that it was fitted without XP being re-installed . Apparently the chip sets were similair and the new board booted straight up although a few files had to be located manually.
    Since then I have not been able to access my sound board, and get the message "no active mixer available".
    After going online and downloading a driver for the new motherboard I got a shutdown when I attemted to load it.
    'My Computer ' also fails to recognise/locate the DVD and CD drivers.

I think its time to unistall and reinstall XP but how do I do it when I cannot get the disc drives to work ?

2. Soundy

Soundy

You can't really "uninstall" XP. Your options are to boot off the XP CD and either perform a "repair" installation, or format the drive and install it clean. The latter will cause the least problems in the long run, but make sure everything is backed up first.

3. geoffreybubb

As I said, I cant get acess to my DVD or CD drives, Im looking for an alternative solution.Looking at the 'Format'
    solution, when I right click on my C drive partition the Format option is greyed out.

4. Soundy

Soundy

5. geoffreybubb

Sorry, you've completely foxed me. Can you spell out how to perform the options ?

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

I'd Recommend Going Back To Whomever Installed The Mb, If You Can't Check The Ide/power Cables For The Cd/dvd Yourself.

Changing Out The Mb Requires All Cables/power/connection To Various Devices Be Connected Properly And Then Make Sure Everything Works.

Drivers For Chipset, Video, Sound And Audio And Any Other Devices Probably Needed To Be Installed.

Changing The Mb Doesn't/didn't Mean They Had To Reinstall Xp.

What Kind Of Hack Outfit Did You Deal With?

7. Soundy

Soundy

When you power up the computer, it does its memory test and such, and should show an option like "Press DEL to enter setup" (or F2 or F10 or something else). Do that to get into the BIOS settings, find the Boot Options or Boot Sequence (it will vary depending on the specific BIOS), and make sure to set it to boot from CD/DVD or "Optical" drive as the first option.

After you save and exit (usually hit F10), the system will restart again... make sure your XP installation CD is in one of the optical drives. It should attempt to boot from that disc, and display the message "Press any key to boot from CD".

If you want to simply attempt a "repair", follow the instructions in the sticky at the top of this forum (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/499568-guide-reinstall-windows.html).

If you want to reformat (keeping in mind this means WIPING EVERYTHING OFF THE HARD DRIVE), proceed through the installation process, and the system will prompt you to format your drive at the appropriate time.

8. geoffreybubb

Thanks. I'll try what you suggest.

9. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

DID YOU NOTICE THE PART OF HIS POST WHERE HE SAID THE CD/DVD AREN'T RECOGNIZED?:confused:

10. Soundy

Soundy

Yes I did. I can also read English:

He's trying to do all this from within Windoze. Just because it doesn't see the drives doesn't mean the BIOS won't, especially if they're plugged into a RAID channel or something that requires its own specific drivers. There's no indication (yet) that the BIOS doesn't recognize them.

11. geoffreybubb

Hi Guys, back on air.

Didnt know that I could read my XP disc via BIOS

Did a complete install and lo and behold , my DVD/CD are now working. Unfortunately I still cannot get sound.

I've tried loading the drivers but no sucess, any ideas ?

Next problem, all my HD partitions have been renamed (ie C; Programs and OS is now D; programs and OS. Windows says it cant be changed. I semm to recall coming across a utility that enables the drive letters to be changed but cant remeber the name of it.

12. Dad-MSFT

Dad-MSFT

Um...you don't want to change the system drive letter.

You might think you want to, but you really don't. There are too many lazy apps that write reg keys and absolute paths instead of using the %systemroot% variable.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having Windows on the D drive.

13. Soundy

Soundy

First, I'm assuming you've used the driver CD that came with the motherboard, and actually run the driver installer(s) from it, rather than simply letting Windows search it with the Device Driver Installation Wizard.

What make/model is the new board? A lot of newer ones have HDA (Hi-Definition Audio) chipsets that have issues with certain update levels of XP. Make sure your XP is up to the latest service pack and patch levels, and try searching Microsoft's site (http://support.microsoft.com) for "HDA" and your motherboard brand and/or audio chipset (Realtek, etc.)

Sometimes it helps to just download the latest driver package from the manufacturer as well - a newer Windows update, for example, may break an older driver that's bundled with the board.

As for the drive letters, while changing the letter of the system drive can have some strange consequences, it's really not as bad as Dad-MSFT says... think about it, any program installer that's not smart enough to use %systemroot% or other such system variables is probably going to try installing to C: anyway. The catch here is, you can't simply change the drive letter, since a lot of things DO use absolute paths; you need something that will go through and find every instance of anything pointing to your new drive (D:) and change it to point to your desired drive letter (C:). In the end, it's usually a lot easier and far less headache to simply reinstall again.

14. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

"RAID" NOW THAT'S A POSSIBILITY, HE PROBABLY FORGOT TO MENTION IT.

15. geoffreybubb

Back on th air again at last !

Firstly, after seeing all your comments I have decided to leave the drive letters as they are (even though I got used to the old letters)

Secondly, the new motherboard is ASROCK K7S41GX so I dont think its a new model. Initially, I did not use the set up disk that came with the board but when I downloaded the latest driver from ASROCK the system crashed and that is why I decided on the re-install.

When re-installing I used the supplied motherboard drivers but in view of my previous crash I'm wary of trying another downloaded driver.

I'll mention another problem I've got just in case it may be connected - After re-installing (legit) INCD 4 the compuetr crashes and restarts when I insert a formatted disk and try Autostart, open or explore commands. These discs work OK with INCD installed on my laptop so I know its a PC problem.

Does this info help?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice