1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unintentionally used external hard disc as starting volume.

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by conarial, May 16, 2019.

1. conarial

conarial Thread Starter

hello,
    i'm not sure I'll be able to explain what exactly happened to me, but i'll try. to be honest, at this point I'm too devastated to be emberassed even. If at any point you ask yourself, "why did she do that?", I don't know myself, I thought i was improvising.
    So i just got a new mac book pro and I was told to download the newest operating systems. MacOS high sierra was no problem, but for some reason when I tried macOS mojave I used a partitioned external hard disc to download it. I though this was the thing to do because of storage or something.
    anyways all was good until I (again- not sure why) selected the external hard disc as my starting volume. The laptop restarted and I was greeted by the usual startign screen, only when I chose my admin user it didnt recognize the password. Panickingly I used my iCloud account, but only an error message kept popping up.
    For the next hour, while slowly getting mad I tried everything I could find, such as "cmd + r" during start up- didnt work. What happened however was that where before I could select my admin user account, I now had the hard disc as an account, where my password (after resetting it with iCloud worked). So now I have an account with macOS mojave but as soon as I disconnect the external hard disc from the laptop everythign shuts down.
    I don't know what to do. any thoughts?
    sorry for any errors I might have made, english isn't my first language and I'm close to going crazy at the moment.

2. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

This is a bit confusing.. You got a new MacBook Pro and was told to download the newest OS. If it was a NEW MAC, it would have come with the latest OS, which is Mojave, not High Sierra. You dl'd Mojave? and used a already partitioned external HD. You chose the Mojave? partition as your start-up. You installed a new OS and therefore the MAC was clean and that's why you had to set up a new account. If you log in with a legitimate Apple ID, all your stuff should be available(except your files). You iCloud account will be available if you log onto iCloud.

Next, your MAC is running off your external drive. If you disconnect the HD, you disconnect your OS and your MAC shuts down.

You need to boot into disk utility and change your startup disk.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!