Unique situation, I think!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Counslr2l

I have had a linksys router on my desktop and a wireless card on my laptop for about a year or so now. It worked wonderfully allowing internet as well as, file and print sharing. I recently defraged and cleaned up the desktop. The only other thing I have done is try to upgrade the firmware of the router which, said it was unable to do so. Needless to say the entire network has gone down. I tried Accessing the router to check if changes had been made and found none. Then, on a second attempt, I was unable to connect to it. Now for some reason the only way I can connect to the internet is to connect directly to the modem. I tried to manually fix it and was unsuccessful. Since, I am running XP on both of my pc's, I tried to use the linksys wizard. It says I am not connected to the internet though, I am. Then, on to their website, I tried to use the easyconnect feature which has worked in the past but, now tells me not to hook the router until told to do so but, the router is not hooked to anything. Can I just uninstall all this and just start over? Sorry for the book. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd attempt to reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 10 seconds. I'm guessing the bad flash may have scrambled something, but it's hard to say.

Once you reset it to factory defaults, you should be able to connect with the desktop cabled directly to it. If not, it's probably toast. After connecting with the desktop, you'll still have to configure the wireless for any encryption, etc.

Counslr2l

I am unable to get to web pages that require secure authentication. I am beginning to think this is an IE problem or a settings prob. Though, my ISP has assured me that what he checked was set up correctly and that the modem is connecting correctly. Could this be a registry problem?

As John said, reset your router. There should be a small button somewhere on it to do so.

Counslr2l

Ok Solved! It was a corrupt Norton file screwing the hole thing up. I have unistalled it and I can now access web and router from home pc but, laptop will not come back online. Cannot ping network from it. Any suggestions now?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The laptop is wireless, correct? If so, disable encryption on both ends of the wireless connection until you get it running, then add that back as a separate step. Also, tell us what the wireless configuration on the laptop is saying, does it see the router?

Counslr2l

I disabled encryption and connected then went back and added it. All firewalls on the laptop are up and running and my zone alarm is on the desktop. Symantec is outta there!!! Looking for new antivirus for the desktop. What do you think about Lavasoft's new Antivirus? Thanks for helping fix everything. Hayley:)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I use AVG and Avast! here, both work well and are free. :)

jiml8

JohnWill said:
I'd attempt to reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 10 seconds. I'm guessing the bad flash may have scrambled something, but it's hard to say.

Once you reset it to factory defaults, you should be able to connect with the desktop cabled directly to it. If not, it's probably toast. After connecting with the desktop, you'll still have to configure the wireless for any encryption, etc.
I have finished the thread so I know the answer, but feel obligated to comment on this anyway. If the problem had been a bad flash, resetting to factory defaults couldn't work becuause the flash would re-write all that firmware, and if the flash went badly then...well... factory defaults would also be garbled.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
jiml8 said:
I have finished the thread so I know the answer, but feel obligated to comment on this anyway. If the problem had been a bad flash, resetting to factory defaults couldn't work becuause the flash would re-write all that firmware, and if the flash went badly then...well... factory defaults would also be garbled.
So, what's your point? It's not uncommon to have to reset the router after the FLASH operation, even if it's written properly, I've experienced it myself. Also, it could have nothing to do with the FLASH operation. Resetting to factory defaults is a very common way of "cleaning the board" so you have a known starting condition. Since we could not know if it was indeed a bad FLASH, resetting the router is a logical step to see if he could regain contact with it. After all, since you read the thread, you can clearly see that the FLASH wasn't bad...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online