1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unique Spam Question

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Geercom, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geercom

Geercom Thread Starter

A professional contact says they are getting spam and that it's my
    fault, that I "put them on a list". I never put them on a list.

How can it occur that someone else gets spam and they somehow think I am involved or that I put them on a list? I don't get it. What do I do to make the problem go away?

2. dtugg

dtugg

Do you have Anit-virus protection?

Some viruses, (klez), will "spam" out messages to everyone in you address book. It'll even search your hard drive for any type of e-mail address and send itself out....

Just a thought!!!!

dtugg

3. Brooks

Brooks Guest

There are several ways that they could have gotten on a spammers list.

• Someone could have placed them on a list, as you have been accused of doing.
    • Using one of those sites such as Joke of the day, where they ask you to put in a friends name and address to send them a joke can get you on a spammers list.
    • They could have signed up for a newsletter or at some site and the site could have given the address away or the site could have been hacked and the contact list lifted. Sometimes legitimate companies will give away or sell the contact lists.
    • Some one could have just sent out blind emails out to their email domain and set it so that either a cookie is placed, a java applet is run (flash could also do this), a picture has to be remotely downloaded, or set a web bug (a small invisible 1x1 pixel picture that reports back to a server) to obtain that the email address is live and valid. These methods, can gather the info off of your system and send it back when requesting the cookie be set or when the picture is requested. Just opening up the message and in some cases previewing it in Outlook or Outlook Express can cause this.

I use Mozilla as my mail client and turn off java, remote pictures and cookies in my email. I am not sure that Outlook has this feature.

[/list=a]

Depending on the type of email they are getting, it may not be possible for them to ever get off of the spam list. On some of them, if you ever reply or use the remove me link, it just allows them to know that you have a live email address, and then they can use it and/or give it to someone else.

Several years ago, I got on a list like that and everytime I would ask them to remove me from that list, they would, but the next day, I was on a slightly different list.

The best thing the person can do, is to either get a new email address, or use some sort of spam filter. If they are on a pop email system, the mailwasher from www.mailwasher.net is a great tool, as it can delete and bounce the emails before they are downloaded. It can be set through the use of blacklists to do this automatically, and you can blacklist whole domains with it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice