1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Universal AC adapter for Notebooks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Culprit, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Culprit

Culprit Thread Starter

Hiya

Purchased a universal AC adapter for notebooks from Radio Shack and having a problem that hopefully one of you might solve
    It runs fine for roughly 5 - 10 min and then the light goes off and it basically stops powering up my notebook. I have to unplug it from the wall outlet and plug it back in. I have to repeat this procedure every several minutes. I have set it at 19v, as per compaq's specs. I'm not sure if the AC is over heating and it automatically shuts off, but it's not running hot.

Matt

2. john_waldrum

john_waldrum

It may have the voltage required, but it may not have enough amps, and that can cause problems. Check your laptop manafacturer sticker where it indicates that it uses 19 v and see what amperage is required, then check your universal power adapter and see what amperage it puts out. Also another note is that sometimes those universal power adapters have a polarity switch and you need to make sure you have the polarity right. Is your system using alternating current or direct current?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice