1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unknow device in Device Manager

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flyboy320, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flyboy320

flyboy320 Thread Starter

I have just installed XP on my old IBM Thinkpad (PIII500, 192mb ram). Everything went great, and the computer seems to be running fine.

I do notice however, that when I view the Device Manager, there is one entry under "Unknow device". When I double click on it the windows says the following;

Device type: Other devices
    Manufacturer: unknown

And under Device status, its says This device is not configured correctly.

All other devices seem OK;

Batteries
    Computer
    Disk Drives
    Display Adapters
    DVD/CD-rom drives
    Floppy disk controlers
    Floppy disk drives
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    Infrared devices
    keyboards
    mice and other pointing devices
    modems
    monitors
    PCMCIA adapters
    ports
    processors
    sound, video, and game controlers
    system devices
    universal serial bus controllers

I don't have the original disks for the computer. Nothing has been hooked up to the laptop yet (printer, zip drive etc.). The computer seems to work just fine, its just this unknow device that's got me thinking...

2. n2gun

n2gun

Have you tried deleting it and rebooting? It looks like evrything that should be there installed correctly going by the list.

3. byon

byon

How about letting windows automatically install it? "Install the software automatically (Recommended)". If it does not work, grab the latest laptop drivers/utilities pack from your manufacturer's website then install and restart your system.

4. FrankToronto

FrankToronto

My guess? It's an onboard network card. Do like they said above, remove it and reboot. It should (if its not damaged) automatically install the drivers for it. If it cmoes back as an unknown device, then contact the manufacturer and ask them if they have drivers for it.

Cheers,
    Frank

5. flyboy320

flyboy320 Thread Starter

I have removed the device, and them rebooted. Xp finds the new hardware, but does not know what it is. It still comes up as unknown.

I'll try and find the drivers from IBM's site.....

6. n2gun

n2gun

Look specifically for onboard drivers. As stated above it may be onboard network.

7. flyboy320

flyboy320 Thread Starter

Ok, I have narrowed it down.

When I do a "install new driver" and do a search for all new hardware, it come back with a wizard and it asks for the software for a "BCM 5701 Gigabit ethernet card"

Done a search online, but can't seem to find the driver for it....

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What is the exact model type of the laptop?

The drivers may be on the IBM site but under a different name, I've seem XP identify some cards by other names - namely SMC cards.

Have you installed any of the Laptop utilities and chipset drivers yet?

9. n2gun

n2gun

It is made by Intel. I searched their website with no luck. The link below takes you to their site. Maybe you can email them and get an answer or have better luck than I did.

http://support.intel.com/

10. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

11. hammerbill

hammerbill

The ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) might have more to do with the ability of your computer to turn on and off with and without the help of your software, harware and switches. This is the error that will always show up when loading Windows 98 and up onto an AT system; in that case it cannot be fixed. However in an ATX board it may be a problem with a setting in advanced power management. Check to see if it is turned on in all occasions in cmos. If there are any settings disabling it, that may help explain the error. It is also not unheard of for this item to just plain be faulty/broken. One last thing to try is a visit to your system's homesite and find updated drivers or patches, discussion or tech support.

12. flyboy320

flyboy320 Thread Starter

Damn you guys are good!!!!

I have searched for a couple of hours and came up empty. I will post results from the link GwizJoe posted.... :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice