1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unknown Computers are connected my Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NiGHTS, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiGHTS

NiGHTS Thread Starter

For over a week now, we've been having trouble with our internet connection. Everything would be working just fine, until we're suddenly booted offline or our internet gets weak and slow.

I can't think of any reason for this to happen, as even when both my computer and my parents' computers are running at the same time, they've never conflicted with eachother.

But recently, my mother and sister have been noticing two other names on our network, Carter and Edgar. We have no idea who either of these people are, but they keep appearing and might be stealing our signal. My sister even says that she's been noticing people stopping infront of our house for a brief moment, possibly connecting to us with their wireless devices.

I don't know anything about our network or connection as my parents have been doing all of this themselves, and they're not exactly computer experts. But we have a wireless router, a D-Link, and if it helps any, the protection on this computer is Kapersky Anti-Virus 2010. My parents' computer, the one I'm using right now, is running on Windows 7, whereas mine is running on Vista. Our computers are only about 2-3 feet away from eachother, as this one is in the hallway and mine is in my bedroom directly beside it.

We don't use XBox Live or anything like that, but my dad does have an iPhone that he goes online with quite frequently, and his connection gets booted off at the same time as ours as all three devices/computers run on the same home wireless network.

We would really appreciate any advice or help on the matter, as our connection frequently gets messed-up and we can go offline anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or longer. And I would hate to find out that these people are using our connection for things that could get us into a lot of trouble, and we don't know how to stop it.

Thank you for your time.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi NiGHTS, and welcome to TSG.

Do your parents have any kind of encryption enabled on the wireless router? If not, their wireless network is fully accessible to any one in range that wants to use it.

3. nysteelhorse

nysteelhorse

Have you turned on the security options on the router? D-Link manuals are pretty clear in setting up WPA security. You can also limit the number of connections to just your known systems, including Dad's iPhone wifi. Also, if you can react quickly enough, you can kick Carter and Edgar off by killing their sessions on the router too. Check the security section of the manual.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/943483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice