1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unknown computers connected to my network...?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Kintaro56, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kintaro56

Kintaro56 Thread Starter

Hello all,

My computer is located in my basement, with my video game system (Xbox 360) is located on the floor above it.

I use a wireless connection to play the 360 over Live...

I just checked my Wi-Fi Intrusion Detection, and I have several unknown computers connected to my network.

I checked the IP addresses...one address is in my small town, a few about an hour away, and one address is from several states over.

I looked at my Network and Sharing Center...I only have my PC connected to "gateway", which is then connected to the Internet. My file sharing is turned off, and I appear to be operating on a private network.

Should I be concerned about any of this?

Thanks in advance!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

"Concerned" is probably not the right word. If you have an open network, and used default names, etc., then it is quite possible for people to get to your files and personal information. They may even obtain partial control over your machine if they are talented. And that is not to mention the use of your bandwidth which may slow your own connection.

This is why Windows, router makers, and I all recommend using wireless protection.

3. fgdn17

fgdn17

setup your wireless to use mac filtering and/or security(wep/wpa/etc.) or
    both which is what I use...both is better....check your manual if not sure how...

good luck

4. Kintaro56

Kintaro56 Thread Starter

I do have PC-cillin Internet Security, but it has expired.

The way I have things, is my network open?

The status of the other computer is "unknown", and I only see them when I search under "detect now" under manual detection using PC-cillin...under my Network and Sharing Center, I only see my computer.

Under "Sharing and Discovery" (Network menu on the computer) all file sharing is turned off, except for "Password protected sharing"...

Thanks.

5. Kintaro56

Kintaro56 Thread Starter

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go to your router's web address, and switch on WPA and give it a good long keyword. Then enter the same keyword into your computer. That should shut off those unknown computers from using your network.

The diagram computer---gateway---internet does not display other computers. It only serves to tell you that you are able to connect to the internet. And your PC-cillin Internet Security only works to protect your computer, it cannot do anything to prevent other computers from connecting to your network. You can only do that on your router's configuration web page.

7. Kintaro56

Kintaro56 Thread Starter

Thank you, but I have two questions:

How do I access my router's web address? I know my IP address, but that's it.

Once I do that, how can I input the same keyword for my computer?

Thank you.

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

To find your router's address, open up a command prompt, and type 'ipconfig'. The routers address is labeled 'default gateway'. Just type that ip address into your browser's address bar.

You will need your router's manual to find out how to enable WPA and put in the passphrase. Go to your router's manufacturer web site and look in the downloads area or your router model's page. There is usually a link to download the manual.

Once the passphrase is setup in the router, when you connect to it wirelessly, you will automatically be prompted for the WPA passphrase I think.

Also, you must change your router's administrator password.

I would write the above 2 passwords down and keep it safe. Since you don't use these passwords frequently, you will surely forget them.

9. Kintaro56

Kintaro56 Thread Starter

Well, it seems I set-up WEP CONFIGURATION a while ago (I remember having a hard time getting my 360 wireless to connect), and I have some elaborate 10 and 26 character hex keys in place.

Here were my WPA stats:

WPA CONFIGURATION

WPA Encryption No TKIP No AES

Group Rekey Interval 0 seconds

WPA Authentication No Remote (Radius) Yes Local (WPA-PSK)

I just added a PSK passphrase, and I switched my Security Mode from WEP to WPA...I also changed my admin password.

I'll see what happens from here...thank you again.

10. Kintaro56

Kintaro56 Thread Starter

Last post on this thread, I hope...

I tried the WPA passphrase, but my 360 wireless set-up wouldn't accept it.

I went back to the WEP configuration...my 360 needed to have the varied letter/number passphrase to accept the wireless signal, so I figure anyone else trying to use my wireless connection would have to as well...it was a pain getting my console online again, so I'm guessing that it would be impossible for anyone else to hack my computer without knowing the WEP character hex keys...

11. lunarlander

lunarlander

WEP is easily crackable. Tutorials are abundant on the web, just google for "WEP crack".

Try not to use WEP and use WPA if possible. You can also get a wired ethernet connector for your XBox 360, so you can avoid use WEP.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

How did you find these IP addresses? I can't wrap my brain around how you see a public IP address from another town attached to your router. The chances of several people hacking your WEP code is pretty slim.

Either you're really unlucky, or you're looking at things wrong.

13. Kintaro56

Kintaro56 Thread Starter

I have "Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security" that came with my computer.

When I clicked on "Network Security", "Wi Fi Instrusion Detection", and then "Manual detection/Detect Now", that's when I saw the other IP's. From there, I went to a site that tracks IP numbers, and that's how I determined they were from various cities.

Since then, the "Manual Detection" icon has been grayed-out. I checked off a box that read "automatically detect computers connected to your network", so maybe that's why the manual detection no longer works; but when I un-checked it, the Manual Detection icon still no longer works.

All of the other computers were always listed as "unknown" in their status...I could not determine if they were online or not, and none of them had "names".

I should also note that I was never notified that other computers were on the network...I read somewhere else that some people were gettng constant warnings. I found out about the others through my Manual Detection.

14. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear kintaro56,
    I keep getting hit by Network Intrusion Attacks everyday and all are blocked by KIS2009. I will show you two snaps,may be useful!:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

15. Kintaro56

Kintaro56 Thread Starter

I may be repeating myself here, but I noticed two positive things:

Under my "Network and Sharing Center", when I click on "Show me all the files and folders I am sharing", I see "No items matched your search".

Under "Show me all the shared network folders on this computer", I only see my printer.

Unfortunately, under "Tasks", and then "View computers and devices" I see "Network discovery and file sharing are turned off. Network devices and computers are not visible. Click to change..."

I guess that's a good thing, but I would like to see if there is someone else on my network, but I guess that impossible since the option is turned off.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/850808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice