1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unknown Device Driver Not Installed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cowoverthemoon, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cowoverthemoon

cowoverthemoon Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD E-350 Processor, AMD64 Family 20 Model 1 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3689 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics, 384 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 286925 MB, Free - 235311 MB; D: Total - 14054 MB, Free - 1532 MB; E: Total - 4055 MB, Free - 5 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1611
    Antivirus: None

My computer(in devices and printers) states it needs troubleshooting, so I ran troubleshooting program. Outcome: stated "unknown device needs driver," and asked if I wanted to "fix this problem." I hit enter (to fix the problem), but--after three tries--still get error messages that "driver was not successfully installed." What steps would you recommend to remedy this problem? Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you so much!

2. dai

dai

3. cowoverthemoon

Thanks for the reply. Ran the first one, and have attached print screen image showing "unknown device;" not sure what supposed to do from here--tried clicking "help," and other options--no actions seemed to provided., RIght (and left-clicked) on device, and no instructions or further options--just took me to web to download another "device finder" software program. Tried other link (program) you suggested, but Avast stated it has a virus.

Attached Files:

4. dai

dai

it looks like it included adware i removed the link

the other indicates a ms pnp driver

is pnp enabled in the bios

run sfc /scannow

5. cowoverthemoon

Sorry, I'm a newbie--not sure what you want me to do. How can I tell if pnp is enabled in the bios?

And what does sfc stand for (you suggested to run sfc /scannow). Thank you so much--again!

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Click Start and type DEVMGMT.MSC into the search area then press Enter to open Device Management.

In the new window look for an entry with a yellow ! or ? and right click it then click Properties.
    In the new window click the Details tab then click the down arrow and click Hardware IDs.
    Right click on the top line in the lower window then click Copy.
    Use Paste to include that line in your next post here.

We should be able to find what device it is from that and then find a driver.

7. dai

dai

8. valis

valis Moderator

@dai: for post two, how closely does that replicate the windows device manager? Useful as all get out if so.

for the OP, please go to start > run > sysdm.cpl > enter > hardware tab > let us know if there are any exclamation points there. If so, we'll head to pci database.

thanks,

v

9. cowoverthemoon

Managed - There is nothing with a yellow ? or ! mark next to it.

10. cowoverthemoon

Dai,

I looked through the two HP links (documentation) you posted; but do not see anything here that would help me now--or am I missing something? Didn't see how to run SFC- system file checker (to check windows files)--unless you are thinking I need to do system restore? I did run (on HP's site) their diagnostic tool (downloaded their utility), before posting, but it could not find anything wrong.
    Still getting yellow triangle with ! next to my computer in devices and printers.
    Do not know what the "d page" you are referring to is--or how to locate bios information (for pnp)--or even what bios is; very much a newbie.

11. cowoverthemoon

Went to start > run > sysdm.cpl > enter > hardware tab > but did not see any yellow--or other ! or ?s (same as when I did what Managed suggested).

Maybe the following can provide a clue:

1. Before I saw a warning near my computer (see attached screenshot of my "devices and printers"), I was having trouble with my printer (Envy 110) printing on wireless. It resolved itself, but before I had been getting an error message stating my computer could not communicate with the printer, and to check if my printer was "on" or if my Internet connection was lost (it was "no" to both).

2. I attached a new error message I just got--not sure if it has anything to do with

Let me know you have questions or need more information; otherwise what next?

Thank you so much!

Attached Files:

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Do you have 2 computers ? The one with the ! mark, LAUREL-HP, is that the one you're using and trying to fix ? Does it have a webcam ? What model HP is it ?

13. dai

dai

the hp links are for future reference to save time searching for them when you need them

to run the sfc

press the windows key+R

in the box that comes up put

sfc /scannow

and press enter

14. cowoverthemoon

Do have another computer, but not on this network; should only show one. Yes, the one marked LAUREL-HP with the ! is the one I am trying to fix. It does have a built-in webcam. Is a HP Pavilion-dm1 entertainment laptop/notebook.

15. cowoverthemoon

Tried to run sfc; followed directions, but when after I pressed "enter" the box blinked, disappeared and then no results were shown; or do they appear elsewhere?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1112225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice