Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown device in device manager

886 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  janlafata 
#1 ·
I just put in a new Motherboard. An ASUS K8V-MX. It's a Socket 754 with a Athlon 64 processor, an Nvidia video card, 256 MB, A Creative Labs Audigy SE sound card and 2GB's of Kingston memory. I am runnning Windows XP Pro x64 on it.

I just loaded Windows yesterday and I like to get all of my drivers and updates installed first. I also usually check in Device Manager to see if there is ever anything I didn't catch. In my setup, there is a Raid Controller, and since I don't use Raid, I just disabled it. There is also an unknown device, and it's driving me crazy not knowing what it is. I ran this OS on a previous motherboard and it didn't show up there, so I don't know.

I tried to find a driver for it online by clicking on update driver but nothing came back. Then I made the mistake of uninstalling it, only to have it ask me everytime during bootup that there is new hardware and would I like to try to find the driver for it. So I disabled it. But I'm still wondering what it can be.

I would have attached a screenshot of the properties window for the unknown device but I couldnt get it to upload on here. It does mention something about VIA PCI to ISA Bridge. Hope that helps. But I have no ISA slots!

Also is there any way, through the registry or whatever to just completely get rid of these entries in Device manager? The RAID entry and the unknown device?
Everything else on the system has been installed and has it's drivers. The only thing I can think of that it could be is that I have a two slot USB add-on, for extra USB devices in the back and it's hooked up to one motherboard USB pin header. But I really don't think that's it. I appreciate any insight into this you can offer.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.