Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

unknown device in device manager

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  tomcat10 
#1 ·
I have a portable hard drive that i attach to my computer via USB.
It has worked fine so far but now when i plug it in the only response i get a message saying "USB device not recognized, one of the devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned....." and under Device Manager in Universal Serial Bus Controller Ican see not 1 but 2 Unknown Devices.

If I uninstall them both, unplug the hard drive from the usb port and do a Scan For Hardware Changes then I will get the message "Unkown Device. Device Driver Software installed successfully" and one unknown device will reappear in the Universal Serial Bus Controller.
Now I wonder: what device is that?? Clicking on properties doesn't really help

Plugging in the usb hard drive will bring again the error message "USB device not recognized....." then "Unknown device. Device driver software installed successfully" and the unknown devices number in Device manager back to 2.

The usb hard drive works fine on other computers so that is not the problem

Don't know if I have been very clear in describing the problem but any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, I have tried all 4 usb ports but same result

This is really annoying as I can't connect my camera or hard drive to the computer.
I have looked around the net for some fix but unsuccessful so far.

The integrated web cam is not working either and I don't even see it in device manager.
Starting the software for it i get the message" Camera is unplugged, please connetct the camera to the computer" Who disconnected it!!??

Any help please

#5 ·
Its a Dell M1210

For sure that "unknow device" in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers has got something to do with it. If I uninstall it, next time i start the computer or if i do a scan for hardware changes in device manager, it reappears with the messages: Found new hardware, USB device Unknown device Your new hardware is installed and ready to use.

What is that new device??
If i connect any device (external hard drive, camera...) I get the message Device not recognized...

Something might have been disabled in the BIOS setting maybe? Even if I have never been there.
Or a driver problem?
I think the ports work because when i connect the wireless modem to any of the port it works just fine.
I don't know what to do anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.